Rogue987's Mega Security Setup

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
You have it all covered as I can tell. You have an AV, good Firewall, UAC enabled, good antimalware scanners, great cleaning and privacy tools. Backup is present. You don't have to have Adguard and WOT, Adguard already has WOT included.
Really nice example of completely free but solid security setup. :cool:

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Rogue987. BoraMurdar has given your configuration high marks indeed!:):)

I'd read the posts and suggestions from your "What antivirus should I use?" thread you'd authored. What did you think of some of their suggestions? Currently, our trial version of ESET Smart Security is expiring. My wife wouldn't mind keeping it, & liked it for it's 'set and leave' unobtrusive presence, though it's also very customizeable. She is a former user of ESET NOD 32 (ESET's AV version without the firewall) and soon we'll be considering a replacement for our own Windows 7 SP 1 too.

Are you truly considering replacing your AV and, if so, do you wish to keep it cost free while hardening your security?o_O On our Windows 8.1 system we have Avast! Premier, thanks to @King Mellow's selfless generosity!:cool: You could enter our latest Free Giveaway where 20 lucky members will receive Avast! Premier 1 year keys (1 per winner;)) here: http://malwaretips.com/threads/avast-premier-2015-giveaway.45663/

Last edited:

Rogue987

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Hello @Rogue987. BoraMurdar has given your configuration high marks indeed!:):)

I'd read the posts and suggestions from your "What antivirus should I use?" thread you'd authored. What did you think of some of their suggestions? Currently, our trial version of ESET Smart Security is expiring. My wife wouldn't mind keeping it, & liked it for it's 'set and leave' unobtrusive presence, though it's also very customizale. She's a former user of ESET NOD 32 (ESET's AV version without the firewall) and soon we'll be considering a replacement for our own Windows 7 SP 1 too.

Are you truly considering replacing your AV and, if so, do you wish to keep it cost free while hardening your security?o_O On our Windows 8.1 system we have Avast! Premier, thanks to @King Mellow's selfless generosity!:cool: You could enter our latest Free Giveaway for 20 Avast! Premier 1year keys here: http://malwaretips.com/threads/avast-premier-2015-giveaway.45663/

I have decided to switch to 360 Total Security Essential.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I have decided to switch to 360 Total Security Essential.
I like the way you are obeying in this forum. But dont forget that you can make some rules to obey your own thoughts. Dont just keep switching things if you are comfortable with it. That is what I learned in this forum. There are plenty of suggestions u get here, but its up to you whether to choose it or leave it.
The best suggestion what I got in this forum for some members here is to "be happy with what you have when your PC is running well. Make experiments but choose a wiser method to perform it. Add softwares that are really necessary. Never leave your softwares without updated.
So I'm not forcing you to stay with the current setup. As I mentioned if u are interested to make some experiments you do it in a proper way (Ex: Using Shadow Defender).
My recommendation dont break ur head regarding your config. You have every thing covered in your PC as the professionals have already stated it.

Rogue987

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
I like the way you are obeying in this forum. But dont forget that you can make some rules to obey your own thoughts. Dont just keep switching things if you are comfortable with it. That is what I learned in this forum. There are plenty of suggestions u get here, but its up to you whether to choose it or leave it.
The best suggestion what I got in this forum for some members here is to "be happy with what you have when your PC is running well. Make experiments but choose a wiser method to perform it. Add softwares that are really necessary. Never leave your softwares without updated.
So I'm not forcing you to stay with the current setup. As I mentioned if u are interested to make some experiments you do it in a proper way (Ex: Using Shadow Defender).
My recommendation dont break ur head regarding your config. You have every thing covered in your PC as the professionals have already stated it.

I know, I am one who likes to test things out and experiment with things.

I just plan on advancing my setup even more, I'll show that to be true very soon! ;)

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Rogue987, I also like to experiment with things. Back in the day when I was young and worked at a certain hamburger joint to make some Summer money, I was washing the floors one day, and thought to myself, "Hey, if bleach is such a good cleaner then Ammonia mixed with bleach must be a freaking great cleaner!" Of course we all know the two combined make a killer cleaner! You've never seen a restaurant empty so fast in your life. Oh boy, good times. Anyway, the moral to that riveting chapter in "Great Debacles in Chemistry" is this: Careful what you mix together and how you configure things. A layered approach to security is best, but too much can be, well, too much. I can tell you from personal experience that reaching for that perfect configuration is something that can sap away many free hours without ever coming to a perfect resolution. I actually think for many of us it's all about the chase so we just keep testing stuff out and never settle on any particular setup. I agree completely with Purshu_Pro. Don't break your head about the configuration and go with what you like and feel comfortable with. Good luck! :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Rogue987

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Did you install the Enhanced or Standard download from their website?

Standard, but then I realized about the update with the added databases then downloaded the Avira and Bitdefender database.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.