Rolo's Config

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Ah, thx. I thought it was an ad from the launcher / online essentials (essential equals useless / unwanted by all in Avira's case).

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
OK, even without the launcher, I got that same ad again, so Avira is out. So...that leaves...heh..
Windows Defender! (tada.wav)

I have MBAE free running and, I guess, it is working. I am wondering if it really is doing anything that a modern 64-bit updated OS and apps don't already do. When I rebuild this machine (still on upgraded IP build), I really am just leaving it at Win Defender/Smartscreen. I have extensions and Norton DNS for "perimeter" Internet security and it's not like I don't run everything on a security-heavy VM first anyway.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I'm giving FortiClient a whirl. It's free and so far it isn't nagging (a little banner at the bottom of its UI...not annoying and totally appropriate).

The UI is easy to use and its scan didn't have any false positives but did detect a few things everyone does (and should) and even flagged OkayFreedom VPN promos as Adware. What's really interesting is that it caught my password-protected malware zip--it's password protected so it wouldn't get quarantined! Nice.

It's web filter is quick, effective and uses an NDIS driver (plugin on your network interface) rather than proxies or browser extensions; the eicar test content didn't even make it to the browser or the file system.

My only reservation is overhead...it may not be light but I cannot say.

Most recent VB100 scatterplot:
RAP-quadrant-Oct14-Apr15-1200.jpg

cf. https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I've already decided that's going to be the wife's config. Most likely it'll be mine too since the VM is the test range anyway.

Rolo

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You may look into

> Sandboxie
> Shadow Defender
> ToolWiz Time Freeze
> Malwarebtyes
> Zemana AntiMalware

as a combination.

• As we have seen, Sandboxie is breakable and I don't use sandboxes for real-time protection anyway (more trouble than it's worth)
  • I have Shadow Defender 1.2 but it has no easy way to commit changes (maybe later versions do but they aren't free); I use a VM for testing/trials anyway
  • Earlier, I documented my tryout of Toolwiz Timemachine (looks good but didn't work and Time Freeze is the same thing as Sandboxie, Shadow Defender)
  • I have Malwarebytes listed in my OP and signature
  • I have Zemana listed in my OP but not my signature because my lifetime license had too many activations (all my real and VM rebuilds); I'm just waiting to see if there's a reset timer before contacting their support. It actually detected more than herdProtect, which has 10x more engines, showing that "more" isn't "better"
--+--

Update: FortiClient is gone; two issues:
  1. It's logging service got hung up and pegged one CPU for almost an hour
  2. It breaks certificates so every SSL connection shows a certificate issued by "FortiClient" (which is untrusted) and masks the actual certificate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and tonibalas
D

Deleted member 2913

I too have tried free AVs Avira, AVG, Panda, Comodo, Avast, 360TSE, Forticlient, Bitdefender Free, Unthreat & Adaware, etc...
Out of all I chose Avast & 360TSE. Haven't decided yet which one to use?

I read your opening post. You have mentioned 360TSE near perfect product but many FPs. I was thinking of installing it but after reading your post I am like to install or not.
Did you get any FPs for system/Windows files?
Any FPs for popular/most used/mostly found on majority systems, etc... software?
Or the FPs were for software..the kind average users dont use/have on their systems?

I am little confused with 360 TSE FPs topic. Some users say FPs not a prob now & its normal now & some users say high FPs.

Reactions: XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : False positives may occur on some cases when files are too premature and low prevalence to the users however in such flip side, the engine may caused little trouble to reduce due to aggressive heuristics plus lack of spring cleaning the generic signatures.

FP's happen from case to case basis unless a major breakdown occur that affects a dramatic number of users.

Reactions: Kent
D

Deleted member 2913

• I have Shadow Defender 1.2 but it has no easy way to commit changes (maybe later versions do but they aren't free);
Isn't Shadow Defender lifetime license with updates/upgrades?

D

Deleted member 2913

@yesnoo,

Yes! Install over the existing version.
I meant for Rolo. He mention has SD 1.2 & commit charges is not easy & may be good in later versions but later versions not free.
So I meant SD is lifetime & he can upgrade free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.