Mini Spy

Latest Threads

1. Welcome to MalwareTips!
    MalwareTips is a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!

Sandboxie or a better alternative?

Discussion in 'War Room' started by MalwareBeater, Mar 15, 2013.

?

Would you replace Sandboxie with another similar product?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. I'm not a Sandboxie user

42 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. MalwareBeater

MalwareBeater New Member

Hi guys. I noticed on the Sandboxie forum that Sandboxie might be bypassed. Do you guys know if there are any good alternatives to Sandboxie? Thanks for any suggestions. I hope I posted this in the right place.
  2. Huracan

Huracan Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Don't be put off a "SBIE bypass", it's not that you'll commonly come into contact with malware that can bypass the software.
  3. MalwareBeater

MalwareBeater New Member

I was just wondering if there is any other software like Sandboxie. Does anyone know of software like this. Thank you for any responses.
  4. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Testing And Review Expert Staff Member

Bufferzone
  5. Littlebits

Littlebits Super Moderator Staff Member

Sandboxie has been bypassed before and the developer promptly fixed the problem. Any security software can be bypassed as vulnerabilities are exploited but will probably will not find a better option for a sandboxing application then Sandboxie. It is in constant development, bugs, vulnerabilities and problems are fixed quickly.

Like Earth said, it is very rare to find malware that can bypass Sandboxie even if you are looking for it. The chance of you actually stumbling upon it is even more unlikely.

Thanks.:D
  6. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Even those virtualization software like Shadow Defender, Toolwiz Time Freeze and others are also been bypassed by a test against 5 sophisticated threats like Rootkits.

Those Youtube reviews can be found at the "Community Review Section" here. As rare cases occur but its better that a software is tend to improved from its vulnerabilities.
  7. ams963

ams963 Regular Member

There is bufferzone and also many AV/IS suites include in-house built-in sandboxing like avast!, Bitdefender and Panda.
  8. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

Someone should do a crazy, aggressive video test/review of Sandboxie soon. Let there be a huge malware pack released. 100 samples or more in total. Throw it under the bus and see what happens. That would be cool!
  9. Umbra Polaris

the few malware that may bypass it are advanced rootkits like Sinewal and co
  10. Ramblin

Ramblin Active Member

Amit, he asked for a better alternative not just a replacement.:D

Seriously, there is none. In the past, I seen other people ask the same question and is always the same, they are looking exactly for Sandboxie but elsewhere. That wont happen. If you want what SBIE does, you got to use Sandboxie. No alternative.

In my opinion, the only other program that does sandboxing as good as Sandboxie is Defense Wall. But Defense Wall does things differently than Sandboxie. So, MalwareBeater, there you have it, Defense Wall is it.

Bo
  11. Ramblin

Ramblin Active Member

Ramblin
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  12. Ramblin

Ramblin Active Member

It hasn't happened yet Umbra. The gentleman from Poland said he would test SBIE against Sinewal.

We ll see what happens when the test is done. Remember, Sandboxie doesn't allow drivers to run or install. If this malware is a rootkit (I don't know if it is, you say is a rootkit), the chances of running in a sandbox or escaping the sandbox are about minus 0.

Bo
  13. Umbra Polaris

14. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

Now THAT is what I call a test video. That rocked.
    Kudos to whom ever put that together! +10!!
  15. illumination

illumination Well-Known Member

That was an old thread in Sandboxie forum, from 2007. Version 3 of Sandboxie was effected by the exploit, but version 4 on up was immune from it. Tzuk does an excellent job of keeping Sandboxie tight, and listening to the members with concerns or finds. To my knowledge, nothing has been able to bypass Sandboxie since. There is always a chance something may be able to, as with all software, but it is very, very slim.

Now with this being said, personally, i would run other security with Sandboxie, as even the owner/creator advises at least an AV to be run along side it.
  16. MalwareBeater

MalwareBeater New Member

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I guess there are no better sandbox options than Sandboxie. I will stick with Sandboxie for sure.
  17. King Grub

King Grub New Member

http://blogbromium.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/blackhat-2013-sandbox-roulette_wp.pdf
  18. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Regular Member

Well i voted no,but if there is an alternative to sandboxie...can someone please tell me ?? ... or am i missing something ? Which is the other similar product(s) I am curious to know ?
  19. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

arsenaloyal: Bufferzone Pro is one of the alternatives for Sandboxie and its function are in the same way. Other application are known for software virtualization which covers all desktop like Shadow Defender, Toolwiz Time Freeze and others.
  20. Ramblin

Ramblin Active Member

The PDF you posted might be true about most sandboxes but not SBIE. Based on my personal experience using Sandboxie (over four years), I can tell you that nothing gets out of the sandbox unless the user allows it.

King Grub, before Sandboxie, I used to get infected once or twice a year. That cycle came to an end the day that I started using Sandboxie at the end of 2008. For me, clearly there is a before and after SBIE.

Also, based on reports by other people using SBIE, you dont see people that use SBIE reporting getting infected. It just doesnt happen. I mean, take a look at the SBIE forum, Do you see people reporting getting infected as you do in the Avira or any other antivirus forum? You just don't. Too me, that means more than the PDF you posted or anything written by another sandbox detractor.

Bo