Serious Discussion Security Types: Which are you?

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
-The "Experts"

°The Info-Armageddon Preppers (Ultra paranoids; Fort Knox every device, ferrite rings on cables, Faraday cages, etc)

°The Security Paranoids (if it can be secured then it should be done; don't you read and react to the online security news by the hour?)

°Security Geeks ( self explanatory )

°Security software addicts (just want to play with software and believe they know something about something so they can hear themselves talk)

°The Security Initiated (wholesome, mentally and emotionally healthy, carefully considered & measured security that is realistic proportional to the risks)

-The "Security Aware"

•The I-Know-But-Just-Don't-Care

°Ah heck with-It (it is a futile enterprise so why bother?)

-The Security Oblivious (again self-explanatory)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's interesting to see the wide range of security types! I'd argue it's crucial to find a balance - being aware and proactive about security, but without letting it consume your life. Being a 'Security Initiated' seems like a healthy approach.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Security Aware, and I'm okay with that :) Where I go online, what I do online, and the awareness I do have, gives me time to think of, and have other hobbies and interest other Security, PCs and PC related things. LOL, I love your description of the Security Initiated...of course who isn't going to want to pull the trigger on that one, it sounds so holistic, so wholesome, even the Bot picked up on that one and liked it :) :)

Love this description, too :) °The Info-Armageddon Preppers (Ultra paranoids; Fort Knox every device, ferrite rings on cables, Faraday cages, etc)....tin foil hats :)

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
-The "Experts"

°The Info-Armageddon Preppers (Ultra paranoids; Fort Knox every device, ferrite rings on cables, Faraday cages, etc)

°The Security Paranoids (if it can be secured then it should be done; don't you read and react to the online security news by the hour?)

°Security Geeks ( self explanatory )

°Security software addicts (just want to play with software and believe they know something about something so they can hear themselves talk)

°The Security Initiated (wholesome, mentally and emotionally healthy, carefully considered & measured security that is realistic proportional to the risks)

-The "Security Aware"

°Ah heck with-It (it is a futile enterprise so why bother?)

-The Security Oblivious (again self-explanatory)
Moved (mostly) from The Security Paranoids to The Security Initiated

This is key: measured security that is realistic proportional to the risks

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Using no AV since XP with a few exceptions, when I was trying out realtime AVs.
I have no data to lose, I share everything and I have no money, 500€ overdraft. 😅

capture_04302024_225510.jpg

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Several years ago I tortured my computer with a combination of AV with 2 engines (TrustPort) + Emsisoft Mamutu (behavior blocker) + Zemana AntiLogger + Sandboxie (10 sandboxes with different settings) + Shadowdefender.
Occasionally, I used some advanced tools (AVZ Antiviral Toolkit, PowerTool, Universal Virus Sniffer, Security Task Manager), on-demand scanners (HitmanPro, NPE), and backup tools (Macrium Reflect).
My computer needed about 5 minutes to restart. I was very happy.:)

I used those security layers because I liked using them and had the satisfaction that I could recognize advanced attacks and persistent malware. It was a kind of sport, education, and self-betterment.
After that period, I started developing H_C. I had to learn much about the Windows system and attack vectors. Such knowledge can change the viewpoint about security - the malware is not a mystery anymore. Now, I use the AV on default settings, except when testing my applications.

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
Several years ago I tortured my computer with a combination of AV with 2 engines (TrustPort) + Emsisoft Mamutu (behavior blocker) + Zemana AntiLogger + Sandboxie (10 sandboxes with different settings) + Shadowdefender.
Occasionally, I used some advanced tools (AVZ Antiviral Toolkit, PowerTool, Universal Virus Sniffer, Security Task Manager), on-demand scanners (HitmanPro, NPE), and backup tools (Macrium Reflect).
My computer needed about 5 minutes to restart. I was very happy.:)

I used those security layers because I liked using them and had the satisfaction that I could recognize advanced attacks and persistent malware. It was a kind of sport, education, and self-betterment.
After that period, I started developing H_C. I had to learn much about the Windows system and attack vectors. Such knowledge can change the viewpoint about security - the malware is not a mystery anymore. Now, I use the AV on default settings, except when testing my applications.
So, leaning more towards the geek side then the addict and now security initiated. :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I see. Then probably "Security Initiated". Used to be paranoid about online privacy and security, but now I am trying to be more realistic. (y)
When I was a noob I got sucked into the security paranoia, followed by the privacy paranoia.
Once I put some time in, I wanted to try different security setups.
Now I keep it simple in order to stay safe, not paranoid. Mentally and emotionally healthy?
I could be ...
1714522167255.png

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
When I was a noob I got sucked into the security paranoia, followed by the privacy paranoia.
Once I put some time in, I wanted to try different security setups.
Now I keep it simple in order to stay safe, not paranoid. Mentally and emotionally healthy?
I could be ...
View attachment 283126
Not gonna lie, your posts on my security config and your own config at the beginning contributed a fair part to my paranoid mindset in that field. Not sure wether I should thank you or insult you for making me spend thousands of hours fine tuning my Firefox about:config settings. 😄

And yes, I didn't forget you either @SeriousHoax :poop:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.