Seeing some problems with Chrome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I'm seeing some problems with Chrome here in my retirement Village. May be happening on other browsers also, but only finding it on Chrome so far. Senior told me her problems started after getting the message to up date Adobe or Flash. She wasn't sure. I removed 1,205 infections, 12 were malicious. Tried to use chrome again after clean up and got redirected to a message wanting to call 800 number to clean PC. Removed Chrome and scanned again. PC was clean. I'm watching the PC to see if it stays clean. Senior has W8.1 and using Windows Defender. Anyone hear of this happening?? I cleaned the PC with Malwarebytes Root Key, Adwcleaner, and ESET on line scanner. No sighs of infections now and PC is running well. Senior will call if she has more problems.
Thanks!

Reactions: tonibalas
D

Deleted member 21043

What issues are you having with Chrome?

Last edited by a moderator:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I follow the malware section and read TwinHeadedEagal's and Argus's replies a lot. Seen some things there about Chrome in the malware section, so got me wondering if there is a problem with the Chrome browser. This old man needs all the help he can get keeping these seniors on line

What issues are you having with Chrome? I have been getting issues lately too, with IE as well. Must try Firefox.

I noticed Chrome has been hogging my CPU and RAM, using lots of disk usage (quite random...), lagging when switching tabs, freezing and crashing... It didn't used too. :(
Hi! I'm a Firefox user. I never use Chrome. I found the above problem on a seniors PC. You might try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it and see it that helps! You can reset IE and see it that helps! Let me know if this helps. Do not try to uninstall IE, just Chrome. IE doesn't like to be uninstalled.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Chrome gets modified with malware more easier than other browsers. Pale Moon in the other hand is harder to infect with crap, tested it by myself.
Thanks for your reply. I have never heard of Pale Moon. I'm really interested if anyone is having unusual problems with Chrome!

Reactions: tonibalas
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi! I'm a Firefox user. I never use Chrome. I found the above problem on a seniors PC. You might try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it and see it that helps! You can reset IE and see it that helps! Let me know if this helps. Do not try to uninstall IE, just Chrome. IE doesn't like to be uninstalled.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en
Haha, thanks but It's not a issue with something modifying Chrome. I've tested Chrome on a VM as well and another system. Probably conflicts. I'll look into it another time.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I'm wondering if someone is using Chrome and malicious up dates for Adobe or Java to infect PC's.
I'm probably crazy. Just wondering!! Adobe and Java are know magnets for malware and should be kept up dated, but only from known sources. I have heard of malware creators using fake up dates for Adobe and Java to infect PC's. Don't know if that's true???

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Haha, thanks but It's not a issue with something modifying Chrome. I've tested Chrome on a VM as well and another system. Probably conflicts. I'll look into it another time.
Hi! I only know the seniors Chrome browser was infected. How it got that way; I don't know. You may have a different problem.
Good luck! You might want to visit TwinHeadedEagal;)
PS I find using a clean boot helps isolating conflicks
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929135
A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.
20x20_grey_plus.png
Why software conflicts occur?
When you start Windows by using a normal startup operation, several applications and services start automatically, and then run in the background. These programs include basic system processes, antivirus software, system utility applications, and other software that has been previously installed. These applications and services can cause software conflic

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi! I only know the seniors Chrome browser was infected. How it got that way; I don't know. You may have a different problem.
Good luck! You might want to visit TwinHeadedEagal;)
PS I find using a clean boot helps isolating conflicks
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929135
A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.
20x20_grey_plus.png
Why software conflicts occur?
When you start Windows by using a normal startup operation, several applications and services start automatically, and then run in the background. These programs include basic system processes, antivirus software, system utility applications, and other software that has been previously installed. These applications and services can cause software conflic
I don't have a malware issue... Anyway, if you give me a log from Farbar Recovery Scan I could see if I can spot anything suspicious on your students computer which may have been related to the hijacking/infection of his/her browser.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
don't have a malware issue... Anyway, if you give me a log from Farbar Recovery Scan I could see if I can spot anything suspicious on your students computer which may have been related to the hijacking/infection of his/her browser.
Hi! The problem was on a seniors PC. I don't have her PC in front of me. I visit seniors residents and help them with their printers and computers. I seldom bring them to my home. I fix them to the best of my ability on site. They have my phone number if they need me again.
I have gotten repeat calls buy usually it's for a different problem each time. My service is free, so I'm very popular in my Village.
Thanks for your generous offer!

D

Deleted member 21043

Hi! The problem was on a seniors PC. I don't have her PC in front of me. I visit seniors residents and help them with their printers and computers. I seldom bring them to my home. I fix them to the best of my ability on site. They have my phone number if they need me again.
I have gotten repeat calls buy usually it's for a different problem each time. My service is free, so I'm very popular in my Village.
Thanks for your generous offer!
Okay. Well, if you ever have a infected PC you can always ask, although you'd probably go to TwinHeadedEagle instead. Of course I can't help people on the MRA because it's restricted to the staff MRA members only, however there shouldn't be a issue if you ever had a issue over a PM with me helping...

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I just read this from a member getting help in our malware section. I think this is exactly how my senior got infected. I just copied a portion of the reply as I don't want to get in trouble. I think that started all her problems. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.;)
"The fix seems to have worked on Internet Explorer, but opening Chrome took me to a weird page (vosteran.com) that tried to get me to download Adobe Flash (probably a bogus version)."

Thanks for you offer @kram7750 I also am not allowed to reply in the malware section. This is my way of alerting members what I come across here at Golden Oaks. I see all makes and models here. Not long ago I came across a w98. It was still going strong but the senior was not using the internet. Just playing games and typing letters. I love my seniors and they love me back.
I'm thinking some thing is up with Chrome, and I'm trying to alert MT members! Maybe @Jack can tell us more?

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! You know some thing! That's exactly what the senior told me. She said "I never had any problems until I got a message to down load Adobe Flash". Don't ever sell us old farts short.;)I will call her tomorrow and tell her she was probably right on about what started all her problems.
A rough program using Adobe to infect her computer. I tell all my seniors to a low Adobe and Java to up date. That ain't going to happen any more. I might even uninstall Adobe and replace it with another PDF reader.:) I will use Fox reader in Adobe's place! I'm new to MT, but I have been around the block a couple of times! I have also noticed Adobe and Java try to install ASK tool bar. How low are they going to go??
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Reactions: jamescv7

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! For anyone following my thread. FYI Adobe and Java will up date automatic. You will see the notice in your tray.
Do not be tricked to up date Adobe or Java by a rough. Just be sure you untick every thing they offer when up dating. Watch out for ASK tool bar or any other PUP they offer. Damn the internet is getting rotten. I'm about ready to throw my PC in the trash. It's bad enough we have to deal with North Korea. It will only get worse my friends!;):(

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Hi! You know some thing! That's exactly what the senior told me. She said "I never had any problems until I got a message to down load Adobe Flash". Don't ever sell us old farts short.;)I will call her tomorrow and tell her she was probably right on about what started all her problems.
A rough program using Adobe to infect her computer. I tell all my seniors to a low Adobe and Java to up date. That ain't going to happen any more. I might even uninstall Adobe and replace it with another PDF reader.:) I will use Fox reader in Adobe's place! I'm new to MT, but I have been around the block a couple of times! I have also noticed Adobe and Java try to install ASK tool bar. How low are they going to go??
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Glad you sorted it out bro. Seeing you looking for pdf adobe alternatives, I recommend you to try
PDF-XChange Editor version free for personal use.
IDK if I'm allowed to post link http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads
Editor version is what you want.

E

eight

Chrome gets modified with malware more easier than other browsers

Google Chrome gets infected easier & faster as compared to Internet Explorer.

Google Chrome needs a lot more effort to remove the infection as compared to Internet Explorer.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks @darko999!. Not sure I have it sorted out, but I think I know how my senior got 1,205 infections on her PC.
I've been wrong before.:rolleyes:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Google Chrome gets infected easier & faster as compared to Internet Explorer.

Google Chrome needs a lot more effort to remove the infection as compared to Internet Explorer.
Thanks eight! All the more reason to get my seniors to use Firefox and uninstall Google Chrome!;)

E

eight

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.