Seeing some problems with Chrome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Better still use Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is no more the little lamb it used to be.

No offence to you darko999 but I would be suspicious about a company called Tracker Software Products Ltd ;)

@donetao,
If you are looking for Pdf software I recommend this : http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

P.S. : Windows 8 has free Pdf software built-in.

That company makes quality pdf reader and editor, has nothing non legit on it. It's one of the best outhere, it's also in the top list of reputable software related community www.techsupportalert.com, [direct link http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-non-adobe-pdf-reader.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide]. No offense but calling it suspicious because of it's name it's totally clueless.

Reactions: frogboy
E

eight

I have raised no doubts about the capabilities / potential of their software or the company's stature.

If you vouch for the efficiency of the software I am sure it would be good.

Just that a Company name like Tracker Software raised a shadow of suspicion.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
E

eight

Relax. No need for proof.

Like I said " If you vouch for the efficiency of the software I am sure it would be good. "

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Hello donetao

Chrome has Adobe flash player built in so it get's updated when Google Chrome gets updated sort of like
Internet Explorer 11 has it built in on Windows 8/8.1 and Adobe Flash player gets updated with Windows
Update

so if the Senior you are helping is seeing a Adobe Flash player popup from a web page this could be how
thay get infected

would not a adblocker like Adblock plus help? with this

By default, Chrome uses a built-in PDF viewer to open PDFs so Adobe or any other PDF reader is not needed

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1060734

i do not know of any Google Chrome problems as i use Firefox also but if you like to read thay have a forum
to look around on

Google Chrome Help Forum

All discussions
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/chrome

By category
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome/categories

so you could uninstall the Adobe PDF if it's not being used for one less thing to worry about and if Java
is not needed uninstall it also i do not use Java and not found a need for it yet but some games and such
use it

:)

James

Reactions: Ink and jamescv7

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Hello again

before i forget lol

you ask "This old man needs all the help he can get keeping these seniors on line "

have you thought of or tryed Light virtualization i use Shadow Defender and it is a payed for program but there is also the free Toolwiz Time Freeze

here is a review from Majorgeeks a good download site

Using Toolwiz Time Freeze by Majorgeeks.com

Toolwiz Time Freeze
http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/

:)

James

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
If Google Chrome isn't secure then the German Govt. would not have endorsed it. People who get infected while using chrome either fell victim to a zeroday exploit, or have themselves to blame. It is not Chrome's fault. Vulnerabilities in the chrome engine itself almost usually get patched in no more than 48 hours. Meanwhile, chrome has inked deals with adobe to provide google with flash updates, hence, there is absolutely no need for users to "update" their adobe flash in chrome as it will be automatically updated. (Btw fake flash updates were used to propagate Finfisher goverment malware) At the same time, its sandbox engine and other security features (e.g. low integrity sandbox, high entropy ASLR) makes chrome pretty dang hard to break out of even if you have a zero day exploit.

To remove the junk from chrome, you may want to check this tool: https://www.google.com/chrome/srt It is still in beta though.

Also, to secure the senior's computers, you may want to use Software Restriction Policies to stop them from accidentally installing malware. It may be hard to configure, but once you have it done correctly, your malware problems would be (very likely) a thing of the past. Also, switching chrome to firefox is not a good idea. Firefox lacks behind even Internet explorer in terms of security, mainly because of its lack of sandbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Donetao for the redirection problem you should go to Chrome-> settings->Tab options and there you can set again as default page the start page of Chrome.This is the way i solved my problem when an adware changed my start page to Delta page.
Another solution i can recommend is to uninstall Chrome and install Slimjet,it's exactly like Chrome but less heavy on my system,so far i like it.
I hope i have helped;).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Typical scam to get users to download PUP/Adware, but sometimes may be for something more malicious.

The Ad was similar to a Plugin notifcation about Java.

upload_2014-12-21_14-57-57.png

File name: installer_adobe_flash_player_English.exe
VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...bfeffe0f0b03d5e81778e7f5/analysis/1419173604/

Get your clients an Adblocker!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the great replies. Here's what I know. After cleaning the seniors PC, IE browser worked great. Google Chrome redirected me to a page that had a 800 number saying the PC was infected. I didn't mess around and closed Chrome. I then uninstalled Chrome and the senior said they knew how to install Firefox and would install it later. I checked every thing and the PC was working great. I told the senior to call me if they had any problems or questions. I have seen where TwinHeadedEagal and Argus tell the OP that Chrome has been badly infected and they need to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it! I haven't seen them tell the OP that Firefox or IE is badly infected and needs to be reinstalled. Why is that?? I may not get the seniors PC 100%, but I get it running and they know where I'm at if they have problems or questions.I clean dozens of tool bars and snake oil programs from seniors PC's and remove infections the best I can.
Thanks everyone for your great replies and suggestions !
I'm learning every day!

Reactions: tonibalas

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the great replies. Here's what I know. After cleaning the seniors PC, IE browser worked great. Google Chrome redirected me to a page that had a 800 number saying the PC was infected. I didn't mess around and closed Chrome. I then uninstalled Chrome and the senior said they knew how to install Firefox and would install it later. I checked every thing and the PC was working great. I told the senior to call me if they had any problems or questions. I have seen where TwinHeadedEagal and Argus tell the OP that Chrome has been badly infected and they need to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it! I haven't seen them tell the OP that Firefox or IE is badly infected and needs to be reinstalled. Why is that?? I may not get the seniors PC 100%, but I get it running and they know where I'm at if they have problems or questions.I clean dozens of tool bars and snake oil programs from seniors PC's and remove infections the best I can.
Thanks everyone for your great replies and suggestions !
I'm learning every day!

Read my post. No need to uninstall Chrome. You can use SRT to reset everything. SRT was purpose built by google to "scans and removes software that may cause problems with Chrome". Basically a nicer way of saying that it was built to remove crapware, browser hijackers and toolbars.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Read my post. No need to uninstall Chrome. You can use SRT to reset everything. SRT was purpose built by google to "scans and removes software that may cause problems with Chrome". Basically a nicer way of saying that it was built to remove crapware, browser hijackers and toolbars.
Thanks! Here's the link again to SRT

https://www.google.com/chrome/srt/

Thanks for video on Time Freeze @jim lin . I have used some thing similar a long time ago. This looks very easy to use.
It would keep some of the seniors out of trouble. They like to safe pictures of their grand kids from Facebook. Don't know how that would work out?? I usually add WOT and Ad Blocker+ for them and tell them not to click on any pop-ups. Some listen, some don't. Don't see WOT mentioned much here on MT. I think it's a great program! It has even warned me about some email attachments before. I have managed to clean up several PC's here at Goloden Oaks even though I haven't had any formal training. It's a lot easier to clean up a PC when you have it in front of you and you can actually see what's going on. So far I'm doing pretty good with positive results. I love my seniors and they love me back!
Thanks again everyone. I learned a lot.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I want to thank everyone that replied on this thread. Even though I didn't respond to every reply, I read everyone of them and learned a lot. There are hundreds of programs out there to help protect you from the bad guys. I'm sure each one of you have your favorites as I do also.
I have been running my old Toshiba lap top for nearly 3 years. Had a couple of PUPs that got by me because I wasn't paying attention and down loaded software from a site other than from the authors. I run MSE with MBAM Pro. I use Ad-Blocker+ and WOT. I have tried the script blockers, but wasn't impressed. Educate your mouse and you will be just fine. Don't click it unless you want a ticket. Changed that around a little.;)
Unless the internet gets a lot worse; which it probably will, I'm not going to pay for a anti-Virus when there are good free ones out there that get the job done.
Thanks everyone! More comments are always welcome. The thread is still open???:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.