Should I Upgrade to CCleaner 5.x from v4.16?

Should I upgrade to CCleaner 5?

• Yes - The disk tools and monitoring are useful features

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No - The extra features are intrusive or just not needed in the free version

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Other reason.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
UPDATE 2015: I now use the latest available version of CCleaner Portable.

Opinions are welcome, should I upgrade?

At the moment, I still use CCleaner 4.16 on Windows 8.1 x64. I like this version as it does not include the real-time monitoring or unusual GUI.

upload_2015-1-12_17-0-15.png

Today, I installed the latest version CCleaner 5.01 in Sandboxie to see the differences, I found 2 noticeable differences, 3 for revamped GUI.

1. Disk Analyzer (Tools)
upload_2015-1-12_16-58-23.png

(Note: D:/ is not SSD)

Detailed results for finding Pictures and Music on internal storage devices.
upload_2015-1-12_17-8-1.png

2. Monitoring (Options) - As I understand, this can be deactivated manually or by using the portable version of CCleaner.

- System Monitoring will prompt the user every 8 hours, if the default 500MB of space saved.
- Active Monitoring will run background checks of CCleaner, making sure you have the latest version.

upload_2015-1-12_17-0-26.png

(Help: Piriform - Changing monitoring settings (CCleaner Free))

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I always up date CCleaner. I find the new features very useful. Monitoring is paid version only. I don't like the feature run CCleaner when computer starts!

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Mine is ondemand I don't let it run in background or auto start when windows starts. I use to clean my browsing history, cache sometimes & other computer related history & temp files once every two-three days.

Reactions: donetao

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Huracan : Don't hesitate to upgrade for version 5, it does not provide bloated features; to be in fact it contains continuous fixes wnd improvements. ;)

Reactions: donetao

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do use the Portable version. I replace CCleaner64.exe with a newer version and all settings are saved in the .INI file, no need to reconfigure anything.
ccleaner.ini
CCleaner64.exe
portable.dat

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Same with you. I don't like the real-time monitoring. I just want to clean when I need

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
My VOTE: YES

I saw the new UI with version 5 and worried it would stray to far from 4. Then I tested it out, I came to realize Version 5 is just as nice, if not quicker and even more efficient CCleaner! :)

Go for it :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.