Slimboat Browser (Fast, Secure, Powerful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fast & Full-Featured Web Browser for Windows, Linux & Mac

Super Fast
Shorter startup time, faster web page browsing powered by efficient webkit engine.

Efficient and Easy-to-use
Reduce time waste, keyboard & mouse entries with by doing everything automatically.

Powerful and Versatile
SlimBoat integrates more features and functions than any other internet browser

Secure and Safe
Securely store logins & passwords, easily erase all traces, block obtrusive ads & popups.

System Requirements

SlimBoat Web Browser for Windows
Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Windows 2003/2005/2008/2012.
SlimBoat Web Browser for Mac
Mac OS X 10.6 or later (Snow leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion)
SlimBoat Web Browser for Linux
Compatible Linux distributions: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, RHEL, CentOS, Mint, SUSE, Slackware, etc.

Web Browser Screenshots

Main page

Reactions: arc_de_triomphe

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Slimboat 1.1.29 review by PCAdvisor.co.uk : http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/internet/3444360/slimboat-1129-review/?tab=verdictTab#top

Slimboat is an interesting variation on Chrome and it has some useful extras that aren’t in the stock browser. There's even a portable version that doesn’t need installing, making it ideal for carrying on a USB flash drive wherever you go.

In many ways Slimboat, which is available for Windows, Linux and Mac, is like Chrome with a more traditional interface. You'll find a menu bar at the top, a toolbar with address and search boxes, a bookmarks bar and then browser tabs.

Eight different skins are provided. The Language menu is an unusual feature ..

FEATURES

Tabbed browsing: Yes
Password manager: Yes
Form filler: Yes
Download manager: Yes
Parental controls (yes/no): No
Synch to other devices / PCs: No
Special features: Ad blocker, video downloader

ENGINE / SECURITY

Browser engine(s): Chrome 25
Anti-phishing: No
Private mode: Yes

Last edited:
Reactions: arc_de_triomphe

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
Does it have a spellcheck?

YES.

SlimBoat Browser shot.jpg
9T75s2l.jpg

- in html5 test page: http://html5test.com/

.. I see:

your browser scores
AND 2 BONUS POINTS
out of a total of 500 points

.. and, in User Interaction tab:
Spellcheck
spellcheck attribute: Yes

.. and, in Security tab:
Sandboxed iframe: Yes

------------------------------------------------

So I really like this browser - with Ad Blocker and Pop-up Blocker - and too (above all) because I downloaded PORTABLE version .. I'm trying to customize it now ..

In SlimBoat browser:

Tools/Options/Home Page: in 'Specify multiple home pages .. window, copy/paste your beloved search engine links (I copied Privatelee, DuckDuckGo) .. then click OK.

Tools/Options/Start Up: I notched 'Open a specified page': copy/paste Bing URL .. then click OK.

Tools/Options/Search (for Search button - loupe..): I changed for Google Bahamas .. then click OK.

Tools/Options/Privacy: I notched: Clean the following .. all these .. then click OK.

I see one problem: scrolling of Bookmarks is very long (I have many ..) - no scrolling slider button, pitty !..

Last edited:

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Well, the HTML5Test shows a spellcheck, but it doesn't work - here's an example: minuits. Didn't do anything. Maybe there is a switch to turn it on?
http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=97302&sid=bee45d44aeaaeea69ac46bfc9c3d1f1a

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
DrBeenGolfing said:
Well, the HTML5Test shows a spellcheck, but it doesn't work - here's an example: minuits. Didn't do anything. Maybe there is a switch to turn it on?
http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=97302&sid=bee45d44aeaaeea69ac46bfc9c3d1f1a
Bty - there is under options a "split bookmarks into columns" feature.
Also, ad blocker has EasyList and Fanboy List to choose from - says not to enable both at the same time, however.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
SlimBoat process SlimBoat.exe has Memory Use (Working Set) 52.88 MB to 53.5 MB today (with Bing start page) in my Windows here ..

.. and its Ad Blocker and Pop-up Blocker they are VERY effective.

GA4E1

Verified
May 4, 2013
This seems a good browser. I will give this a try. Thank you for sharing!

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Ad Blocker page: http://www.slimboat.com/en/ad-blocker.php

A highly effective Ad Blocker (similar to the Ad Blocker Plus plugin for Chrome and Firefox) is integrated in SlimBoat Web Browser to block all the annoying and obtrusive ads (images or flash animation solely for the purpose of advertisement).

Popup Blocker page: http://www.slimboat.com/en/popup-blocker.htm

The popup blocker inside the web browser eliminates annoying popup Ad windows or so-called pop-under windows before they have chance to jump out in front of your eyes.

Too highly effective.

So I has abandoned IE8, for SlimBoat portable.

Popup test page: http://www.popuptest.com/

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prorootect, how is SlimBoat compared to your beloved IE8? :D Have you tried Maxthon?

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

Earth said:
Prorootect, how is SlimBoat compared to your beloved IE8? :D Have you tried Maxthon?

Yes, SlimBoat (on Chrome 25, with sandboxed iframe ..) is MUCH better than IE8. It blocks ads effectively, so pages loads much quicker.
It blocks (Flash) popup windows from fake AV, so you're more secure, Earth.
If you download Flash Player plugin from Adobe, YouTube videos works OK.

-----------

Yes, I have tried Maxthon v4.05, and it's not good for me .. 90.9 MB in Program Files - and it don't import bookmarks (Favorites) .. and it's not portable ..

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Got my bookmarks imported. Browser is quick.
I also like how fast it opens, and the way I can search Google AND have a 8 or 9 website options right in front of me on the homepage.
I don't like that there seems to not be a way to shrink the toolbars and bring my shortcut icons in closer together.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ 2 browser with nearly same name, very confusing, even i thought that this the browser i tried some months ago. After your post i noticed its BOAT not Browser !!!! Even they looks quite similar .

just found this link,
http://www.flashpeak.com/
they are maker for both Slimboat Browser and SlimBrowser!!!.

Ok got the differences:
Slimbrowser using Trident [IE] engine, and SlimBoat Browser is using WebKit [old Chrome] engine, and Slimboat can be installed in linux/MAC.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Moose said:
Are there extension/addons that one can add to the Slimboat Browser?

It already includes all of the basics and more, what are you looking for?

I would like to correct a misconception:

SlimBoat is NOT based on Chromium, it is based on Apple Webkit and Qt framework.

Although Chromium was also based on Apple Webkit, the codes are not the same and have different version numbers. The code used to make SlimBoat is the same code used for "Apple Safari for Windows" and "Sleipnir for Windows". Browsers that use the Chromium code all have about the same GUI look maybe some icon or color changes but you can tell by looking at them since they all look like Google Chrome.

The appearance of browsers based on Apple Webkit and Qt framework can be much different, some may resemble Safari, IE, Firefox, Opera or have their own unique design.

SlimBoat has no relations to the Chromium project therefore it does not support extensions from Google Web Store or other Chrome extensions.

Qt framework is used in many browsers on smartphones and game consoles.

Enjoy!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.