Troubleshoot Startup for laptop seems slow

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Slow startup after signing onto account on windows. Laptop is only 5 months old so it shouldn't have any slow problems... had some small infections before but they were removed
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran malwarebytes, avast and malwarebytes rootkit to scan for infections. Posted on the malware forum and they found no malware and told me to come here.
HKLM\...\Run: [] => [X]
HKLM\...\Run: [ETDCtrl] => C:\Program Files\Elantech\ETDCtrl.exe [3244360 2014-03-04] (ELAN Microelectronics Corp.)
HKLM\...\Run: [TCrdMain] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\FlashCards\TCrdMain.exe [2853968 2014-02-25] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [TPwrMain] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TPwrMain.EXE [595840 2012-03-02] ()
HKLM\...\Run: [BatteryManager] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TBatmgrTrayIcon.exe [287104 2014-04-16] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [Teco] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TECO\Teco.exe [1604168 2013-11-26] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [TosSENotify] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert\TosWaitSrv.exe [711040 2013-08-21] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [TosVolRegulator] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TosVolRegulator\TosVolRegulator.exe [24376 2009-11-11] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [USB3MON] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe [292088 2013-09-17] (Intel Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [SVPWUTIL] => C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe [1957888 2014-03-18] (TOSHIBA CORPORATION)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [HWSetup] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Utilities\HWSetup.exe [423936 2011-03-10] (TOSHIBA Electronics, Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [KeNotify] => C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\Utilities\KeNotify.exe [34160 2010-08-16] (TOSHIBA CORPORATION)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [ToshibaServiceStation] => C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Service Station\ToshibaServiceStation.exe [1298816 2011-07-11] (TOSHIBA Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [ToshibaAppPlace] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Toshiba App Place\ToshibaAppPlace.exe [552960 2010-09-23] (Toshiba)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [APSDaemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe [60712 2014-10-11] (Apple Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [AvastUI.exe] => C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe [5227112 2014-12-12] (AVAST Software)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [iTunesHelper] => C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe [157480 2014-10-15] (Apple Inc.)
Winlogon\Notify\igfxcui: C:\windows\system32\igfxdev.dll (Intel Corporation)
HKU\S-1-5-21-1104730742-3520406669-1452143769-1000\...\Run: [Facebook Update] => C:\Users\Fionne\AppData\Local\Facebook\Update\FacebookUpdate.exe [138096 2014-07-30] (Facebook Inc.)
HKU\S-1-5-21-1104730742-3520406669-1452143769-1000\...\Run: [CCleaner Monitoring] => C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe [7394584 2014-12-12] (Piriform Ltd)
HKU\S-1-5-21-1104730742-3520406669-1452143769-1000\...\MountPoints2: {49e6f7c0-183a-11e4-8946-f8a9637e7101} - E:\iStudio.exe
Startup: C:\Users\Fionne\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Send to OneNote.lnk
ShortcutTarget: Send to OneNote.lnk -> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\ONENOTEM.EXE (Microsoft Corporation)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers: [00avast] -> {472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24} => C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ashShA64.dll (AVAST Software)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers-x32: [ SkyDrivePro1 (ErrorConflict)] -> {8BA85C75-763B-4103-94EB-9470F12FE0F7} => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers-x32: [ SkyDrivePro2 (SyncInProgress)] -> {CD55129A-B1A1-438E-A425-CEBC7DC684EE} => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)
ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers-x32: [ SkyDrivePro3 (InSync)] -> {E768CD3B-BDDC-436D-9C13-E1B39CA257B1} => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)

That's my startup

Last edited by a moderator:

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Hello Fiona try this

Use CCleaner to Remove Temp Files

CCleaner from here and save the installer to your desktop.
Close all open internet browser windows Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.

On the Windows tab, under Internet Explorer, uncheck Cookies if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to
reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit)

If you use Firefox or any other Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for Cookies is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
Click on the Options icon at the left side of the window, then click on Advanced.
uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours.
Click on the Cleaner icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.

Caution: It is not recommended that you use the Registry feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.

After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Configure System Restore in Windows 7

Click on the Start Posted Image button and right-click on Computer and choose Properties
Click on System Protection on the left and click Continue if prompted
Make certain that the hard drive that Windows is installed on is highlighted in the list (usually C:) and click on Configure...
Under Disk Space Usage move the slider to 3%
Click on Apply and click on OK
Restart your computer

Defragment your Hard Drive

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7

Click the Start Posted Image button and select Computer
Right-click on C: and select Properties
Click on the Tools tab
Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
Click on the Start button
When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

(running Disk Check on your pc can take hours do not stop it it will get done)

and since this is a laptop make sure it is pluged in to the power cord not batteries

Defragment your Hard Drive again

:)

James

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Very good suggestions. Have you tried Malwarebytes Start Lite??
https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/
Also you can use this feature in W7 to check for performance
issues!
PS On start ups, I only have my protection programs starting! MSE and MBAM!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 447
  • Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 434
  • Capture49.JPG
    Capture49.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 629
Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

lolsec

Dec 28, 2014
If you´re running windows 8, run task manager, startup items and take a screenshot of it. You´ve got to much of it at startup, google each item and find out which can be disabled without any problems, or post a screenshot ;)

Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I agree with the above posts,if these Toshiba programs start with Windows you should disable them.
My opinion is that with Windows should start the AV and a few necessary programs like Bluetooth.
Don't worry about Toshiba Programs i had the same issue with Sony and when i disable thes programs from start up my boot time was improved a lot.
I hope i have helped;):).

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
okay thanks you all :) so just disable unwanted programs at startup? How do I know what's important and what's not

Hello Fiona try this

Use CCleaner to Remove Temp Files

CCleaner from here and save the installer to your desktop.
Close all open internet browser windows Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.

On the Windows tab, under Internet Explorer, uncheck Cookies if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to
reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit)

If you use Firefox or any other Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for Cookies is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
Click on the Options icon at the left side of the window, then click on Advanced.
uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours.
Click on the Cleaner icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.

Caution: It is not recommended that you use the Registry feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.

After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Configure System Restore in Windows 7

Click on the Start Posted Image button and right-click on Computer and choose Properties
Click on System Protection on the left and click Continue if prompted
Make certain that the hard drive that Windows is installed on is highlighted in the list (usually C:) and click on Configure...
Under Disk Space Usage move the slider to 3%
Click on Apply and click on OK
Restart your computer

Defragment your Hard Drive

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7

Click the Start Posted Image button and select Computer
Right-click on C: and select Properties
Click on the Tools tab
Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
Click on the Start button
When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

(running Disk Check on your pc can take hours do not stop it it will get done)

and since this is a laptop make sure it is pluged in to the power cord not batteries

Defragment your Hard Drive again

James
thanks for all the suggestions! i already have cc cleaner

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
okay thanks you all :) so just disable unwanted programs at startup? How do I know what's important and what's not
IMHO only your anti-virus needs to run on start up. You can always enable if you won't them to run on start up. The programs still run, they just don't start up when you restart your PC. Malwarebytes Start Lite will help you decide. Then go from there.

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
IMHO only your anti-virus needs to run on start up. You can always enable if you won't them to run on start up. The programs still run, they just don't start up when you restart your PC. Malwarebytes Start Lite will help you decide. Then go from there.

tbh when i first got this laptop 5 months ago all these programs were running at startup and my laptop was still fine when starting up... so i wonder what's causing this slowness. is it due to old infections or just oldness because five months isn't that old

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
also i just looked at how much space my laptop has and it went up by from 605gb to 631... what could have caused this

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
on the System Restore Part if you moved the slider to 3% try

Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

In the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

Click the More Options tab, under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete.

Click Delete Files, and then click OK.

James

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
seems you where infected before ? with this pc

from this post i see you uninstalled Norton and you ran there uninstall tool ?
if not make sure you run it even again lol
http://malwaretips.com/threads/startup-for-laptop-seems-slow.39664/

i also see in post #15 from argus it shows a error with SkyDrivePro1 from Microsoft Office so this could be the trouble

also i could be a good idea to uninstall Avast and use something like MSE just so you can find out whats making this pc slow
nothing about Avast but it can make trouble with a pc and Have To Be Reinstalled with there own Uninstall Tool just go read on
there Forum i have for years lol

James

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What is your specifications of your laptop? (going to Control Panel ----> System)

By typing to the start menu type "msconfig" and go to Startup Tab to disable some unnecessary start up.

Besides mentioned by other members suggestions, do you have any recovery disc to refresh up your system caused this will be your final resort IF still persist?

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
please read through this ;)
SkyDrive or SkyDrive Pro? Cut through the confusion
http://www.infoworld.com/article/26...-skydrive-pro--cut-through-the-confusion.html

SkyDrive is a free public cloud service for storing and sharing documents that is comparable to Dropbox and Box. You get free SkyDrive space with a Microsoft account or Hotmail account. Ultimately this is for personal document sharing with friends and colleagues, though some people use it for business purposes. To keep the two versions of SkyDrive clear, let's call this edition "SkyDrive Personal" for now.

By contrast, SkyDrive Pro is a storage service designed to facilitate business document sharing, either as a part of Office 365 (through the SharePoint Online service) or via on-premises SharePoint 2013. The SkyDrive Pro name is new, but SkyDrive Pro itself is not: It was originally released after the acquistion of Groove Networks (Ray Ozzie's company at the time) as Groove 2007, then later released as SharePoint Workspace. Neither Groove 2007 nor SharePoint 2007 got much traction, perhaps because it wasn't easy for users to work with them.

For SkyDrive Pro to work, it has to be installed on your user's PCs (which an Office 2013 installation does for you, though you can also download a stand-alone SkyDrive Pro installer). Office 365 users get 25GB of space on Microsoft's cloud; it's up to your server admins to determine how much space (stored on your company's own servers) each users gets for SkyDrive Pro in an on-premises SharePoint 2013 deployment.

The SkyDrive Self Help Tool <------

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-81/skydrive-self-help-tool

James

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
yeah i don't know how it affects my laptop. i believe i got it during my microsoft installation and i don't even use it now.

I don't understand MSE says you have nothing unneeded. I don't know why you have skydrivepro1
http://www.techrepublic.com/article...more-confusing-onedrive-amid-legal-complaint/

you showed a picture of your task manager, and you have the toshiba things unchecked. are you sure they are not necessary?
if i don't have them at startup will i have to manually open each whenever i use my laptop?

Attachments

• malwarebytes.JPG
    malwarebytes.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
They are not necessary for me to have them start up. Yes you will have to manually start them after each restart.
To me that is no big deal. I'm never in a big hurry for my Toshiba lap top to start windows. Some times it starts fairly fast.
Other times it's rather slow. Especially restarting after windows up dates. What are you calling slow??
I'll restart and time my Toshiba and reply later. My lap top is over 3 years old. I never shut my PC down unless I'm not going to use it for 24 hours or longer. There are different opinions about that. It's my choice and works for me!!
Be back after I restart and edit this reply!;)
PS Malwarebytes says no unnecessary start ups. That's good!

Reactions: jim lin
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.