Things you can do to safely search the web ?

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! There is a bad guy at this very moment thinking up a way to cause your grief. You can limit his success of infecting you by practicing some safe habits. There isn't a AV that is 100% and you should understand that. Even if you use a VM and sand boxing you can still get infected. Here are some ways you can get infected. It's from our forum. http://malwaretips.com/blogs/from-where-did-my-pc-got-infected/
A AV program will help you; but IMHO, you need extra layers of protection. I use MSE and MBAM Pro with WOT and ABblocker+ MBAM Anti Exploit. IMHO you need to have some online scanners and some other scanners in your arsenal. Here are some I use.
MBAM Anti-Root
MBAM free
ESET on line scanner
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Adwcleaner
JRT
You can be infected and not even know it. The above tools should be ran on a regular basis. I like to run them just before I create a back up image of my OS.
When you down load free software, always try to down load from the author's site or a trusted site like Major Geeks.
Do you have some more ways to surf safely, please add them to this thread!
Thank you!!

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
I was at Major Geeks last night, and one of the programs I went to download from there was blocked by McAfee, which said it was infected. Told me that it might be from a trusted source, but had been compromised!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I was at Major Geeks last night, and one of the programs I went to download from there was blocked by McAfee, which said it was infected. Told me that it might be from a trusted source, but had been compromised!
Hi @tallorder What program was it??

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
AdBlocker is a must, HitmanPro.Alert & unchecky. You also need a good AV (Free you have: Avast, Qihoo, Comodo Internet Security. Paid you have: ESET, Kaspersky, Emsisoft).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Typically strong web guard filter like K9 Web Protection to enhance more malware protection but also to prohibit any hateful/violence website to visit on. ;)

Or make an account as limited to prohibited any execution may happen when visiting to websites.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.