App Review VoodooShield Pro Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes VAi does mistakes and usually with not so used software. It's something to expect. Unfortunately such programs are hard for beginners but if someone takes a minute to explain to them how it works they will be ok. It's easy to figure it out.
Thanks for the test.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Yes VAi does mistakes and usually with not so used software. It's something to expect. Unfortunately such programs are hard for beginners but if someone takes a minute to explain to them how it works they will be ok. It's easy to figure it out.
Thanks for the test.
My curiosity is on why VS' AI marked VT Uploader as totally unsafe (the maximum rating for unsafe). It's like saying that VT Uploader is a 100% malware. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
My curiosity is on why VS' AI marked VT Uploader as totally unsafe (the maximum rating for unsafe). It's like saying that VT Uploader is a 100% malware. :)
I personally would hate it if Dan explained what it detected and why. He usually does the mistake of giving info why a file was detected and in my opinion this is bad. If the bad guys want to figure out what exactly VS checks and get around it good let them spend their time testing but giving them the info with just reading a topic is bad. Dan should just check it on his own and if needed to improve detection but giving a reason why it was flagged is bad.
I linked the video in VS topic so he can see it and possibly take action.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi Safe1st, awesome job I'm impressed.
In a case like you had with the VT Uploader, the user would want to lookup that software to see if it is something being blocked by mistake or not.
I would rather have it blocked and be wrong, than to have it get through and be wrong :)
Taking the time to know what your installing is a must in todays threat filled world, even internet and security newbies have to practice safe habbits,
and taking the time to lookup the software to insure that it is safe to install is good common sense.
Reporting that to Dan also could solve the issue for the user :)

L

Lucent Warrior

I would have personally tested this in default settings, as the average Joe would use it. In Smart Mode "user space including desktop" is protected even when not using your browser and email client. The VT uploader, was flagged by AI because of what the application does and how, being unknown, and unsigned. I witnessed VS doing just as it should here, especially with the modifications to the settings. When you received the pop ups, you can click the "details" and see file details, as well as what it would be classified by the 57 engines. You could also run files like Vt Uploader if you were not familiar with it in cuckoo's and help determine if not legit. I recommend spending some time with products before testing like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

safe1st, Thank You for the test.

Just watched the test.

Guys, the test & settings were requested by me. I wanted to see VAi Only performance against malware And VAi did excellent. And the best part is VAi detected all the samples as Unsafe & not a single as Suspicious. I find Suspicious verdict little sensitive And its kinda an info that VAi find something suspicious So I enable the option in the settings to only alert for Unsafe.

safe1st, dont know why you were getting 2 alerts i.e VS blocked a file & VAi verdict alerts?
I tested 3.34 Beta with same settings on Win 10 64 Anniversary Build And was getting only VAi verdict alerts.

About VT Uploader -
First of all let me tell you guys And this is also cleared by Devs reply posted by me on other thread here that VAi looks for many things app 40 or more characteristics to calculate/verdict a file And doesn't verdict a file Unsafe just coz its unsigned.

I find VAi does very good with common, popular, most used, software found on majority systems, average users software, clean coded, software with good development & releases, etc...

You will find VAi little sensitive with software like system cleaner, registry cleaner, system tweaker, individual developed software to clean, tweak, troubleshoot system & other similar software, etc...

VT Uploader is kinda benign, beta & not updated for long, even Internet Explorer find it suspicious in the video.

And do remember this was a custom settings test, default settings will have VT results And details, recommendation on the alerts may be little different.

At current stage I find VAi very good And further optimization, samples trained, etc... will always be there & keep improving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.