What is going on here...?

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
Something is very wrong with this machine and I am not on my pc 24/7 anymore so i let it go but its starting to become an unavoidable issue so here i am.

This has been ongoing since I recieved this computer as a hand me down from a friend about a year ago. Its been getting worse. i found this website by googling "mutiple instances of plugin.exe" and saw someone with a similar problem get helped.

Symptoms: Super, super lag in simply even using the browser alone. multiple instances of plugin.exe and svchost.exe, my task manager is like 50 things long and all i use is vlc and firefox and steam and blizzard's client, not all at once either. other times, the computer has simply let out a glitchy shriek and crashed dead. other times, commonly, the screen will blank out for about 3 seconds and return, but that coud be a seperate issue--this laptop has a broken screen and i HDMId it to an hd tv. it did this with an asus hd monitor too.

I havent done anything. its been years since i even tackled a problem mlike this. i used to use a similar website to this and follow the walkthrough but its been so long i need it dumbed down for me right from step one. things are very different than they were back in 2006-2009 when i was heavily into being on my computer lol. downoading and using programs takes hours due to the lag on the machine so i didnt wanna do anything i didnt have to do or download the wrong stuff.

Please help. Pic included. this is just the browser running and its at half CPU capacity lol

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
I am now working on doing what the welcome post said, starting with Farbar, hopefully my machine is up to it

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
here are my logs

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Addition.txt
    36.3 KB · Views: 6

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Please download Zemana AntiMalware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Install the program and once the installation is complete it will start automatically.
  • Without changing any options, press Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected press Next to remove them.
Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please restart your computer manually.
  • Open Zemana AntiMalware again.
  • Click on
    4zu6vb.jpg
    icon and double click the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As and choose your Desktop before pressing Save.
  • The only left thing is to attach saved report in your next message.

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
Working on it. The brpwser is barely moving and half the time does t give me asearch, says webpage cant be accessed. I was able to download spyhunter and was told i had 66 threats but was annoyed to see they want 30 bucks to remove them. I ran cc cleaner too at a suggestion by a friend. But i cant get to the zemana webpage on my pc.

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
Im trying to download it but whatever this thing is in my pc is takig the "save" window that pops up and freezing it and making it click-through...finally tricked it using windows+d and now the download keeps stoppig at 359kb of 5.2mb.

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
Whatever infection i have its as if it knows what im trying to do and takig ever possible measure to stop me.

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
I mashed windows+d and closed the downloads progress screen cuz it felt like it had an effect the first time i did it and sure enough i downloaded it. Scanning now,

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Okay, let's take another look with FRST:

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

2873ryc.png

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
There is no active infection anymore, let's clean some remnants. How is your PC behaving now?

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 4

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
here it is after many failed uploads

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • Addition.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 0

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
let me ut it to you this way, it took me about 10 tries to successfuly uoad AND get a ost through, it keeps graying the button out when i hit post reply and nothing is happening. also, loading web pages takes decades and facebook messenger takes forever toshow messages when i can hear them pinging in on the tablet.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 2
  • FRST.txt
    17 KB · Views: 1
  • Addition.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 1

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
Sorry for the multi reply, that was my computer acting up. Now then, I had fixlist and the .exe we are using in the same place and when i opened it, it acted weird and now when i click the original .exe is says its not a valid win32 application. it also made a new folder called FRST-OlderVersion. Is this supposed to happen?

In regards to how my system is running, a lot of times when I drag stuff into VLC it will cause an error and sometimes go directly into a version of the player with no buttons...internet is super slow, when i open programs like the FRST thing it locks up for a few minutes, and sometimes makes windows unclickable. And, I have to repeatedly try to post to get posts to go through on this page, it just grays out the button and nothing happens.

Rhone

Thread author
Verified
May 8, 2016
I also have weird stuff in my task manager like repeat instances of processes, or ZAM.exe which ive never noticed in there before

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.