Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't want to isolate my browser or other apps, or load my system with lots of virtualization drivers, I am just looking for a handy little sandbox to test software, and then nuke everything.
what's recommended?

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I don't want to isolate my browser or other apps, or load my system with lots of virtualization drivers, I am just looking for a handy little sandbox to test software, and then nuke everything.
what's recommended?

For that purpose Shadow Defender might be the best choice.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It depends on what software he wants to test and how, if he already has security but wants to test other security, then SD would not be the best choice, a Virtual Machine would be.
to be more specific, it's not to test out security softs or other system-wide software. It's just to run a app I downloaded, run it inside an isolated folder or something.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Vmware or VirtualBox. Makes testing software and changes easy plus maintain images of what you want for as long as you want.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I find testing software (not specially/only security ones) trough Shadow Defender far better than trough VM's (because it provides me with true performance i want and need). But that is truly my own opinion.

L

Lucent Warrior

to be more specific, it's not to test out security softs or other system-wide software. It's just to run a app I downloaded, run it inside an isolated folder or something.
In this case then Shadow Defender would literally be the best option, without having to install or adjust a virtual machine with another operating system.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I use RollBack Rx for this reason. Just take a snapshot, do whatever you want with your system, then restore the PC to your snapshot. I personally prefer Rollback over a Sandbox software because I don't have to do much aside from take a snapshot before which takes seconds.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
thanks, guys.
I guess I could just set Sandboxie not to run at startup, only manually, so I won't have those drivers running. And if SBIE breaks the app, then I can go for the heavier options.

L

Lucent Warrior

I use RollBack Rx for this reason. Just take a snapshot, do whatever you want with your system, then restore the PC to your snapshot. I personally prefer Rollback over a Sandbox software because I don't have to do much aside from take a snapshot before which takes seconds.
Rollback RX is a good software, but for simplicity's sake, Shadow Defender would be best suited. When windows rolls out large updates/cumulative ect, one needs to uninstall Rollback, update and reinstall to avoid potential issues, some would consider this a hassle.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Rollback RX is a good software, but for simplicity's sake, Shadow Defender would be best suited. When windows rolls out large updates/cumulative ect, one needs to uninstall Rollback, update and reinstall to avoid potential issues, some would consider this a hassle.

How many times have you had to do that? I've had to do that twice in the past two years. Also for the amount of work to enable Shadow Defender then disable it, I would think it's faster to quickly take a snapshot. I like Shadow Defender, I use it on a few machines, but I don't think it's the best if you want to quickly set up a test environment and restore it after you're done.

Reactions: Logethica
L

Lucent Warrior

How many times have you had to do that? I've had to do that twice in the past two years. Also for the amount of work to enable Shadow Defender then disable it, I would think it's faster to quickly take a snapshot. I like Shadow Defender, I use it on a few machines, but I don't think it's the best if you want to quickly set up a test environment and restore it after you're done.
I have had to do it a few times, and hence why i do not use that software any more. SD is simple to set up, a restart and changes are gone, i do not see where that is more difficult then resetting a snapshot.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
thanks, guys.
I guess I could just set Sandboxie not to run at startup, only manually, so I won't have those drivers running. And if SBIE breaks the app, then I can go for the heavier options.
nope, my idea is not going to work, because you can only set the GUI not to run at startup, but the drivers will still run.

Reactions: Logethica and SHvFl
H

hjlbx

If you just want to occasionally check an unknown\untrusted file, then you can use Malwr's free online Cuckoo Sandbox.

At first the returned results will seem like gobbly-gook to you, but after some experience using it things will become more clear.

Otherwise, use Shadow Defender; it's the best solution for what you want to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.