Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: Making WhatsApp free and more useful - WhatsApp Blog

"That's why we're happy to announce that WhatsApp will no longer charge subscription fees. […] Many WhatsApp users don't have a debit or credit card number and they worried they'd lose access to their friends and family after their first year. So over the next several weeks, we'll remove fees from the different versions of our app and WhatsApp will no longer charge you for our service.

Naturally, people might wonder how we plan to keep WhatsApp running without subscription fees and if today's announcement means we're introducing third-party ads. The answer is no. Starting this year, we will test tools that allow you to use WhatsApp to communicate with businesses and organizations that you want to hear from."

Download for Android, iOS and Windows Phone above.
For other platforms visit WhatsApp :: Home

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Been using Viber for so long, it's as good as Skype was back in the day for Windows.
However, it seems that more and more apps are going this way: Most functionality is free to use, and sponsored pages/ads from within the app as well as call credits provide revenue for the app's development.
In my opinion, this is a very efficient marketing plan, for users and companies alike.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Whatsapp sucks! Now they're starts to allow other entities to contact users.

But Telegram rocks.
Every app has its advantages and drawbacks, that's the only thing that is safe to assume. :p
However, there are indeed developers which abuse sponsored content in their apps more than others do.
Either way, when it comes to such applications (messaging, etc) which are not critical to the functionality of a system or users' data, it's all about personal preference. :D

Reactions: OokamiCreed

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Curious, I'm using Andriod version of Whatsapp and I do not recall paying anything for that. It the subscription model applicable for iOS or others?

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
First year is free, but thereafter it costs.

Android : Open WhatsApp > Settings > Account > Payment Info.

**Do not buy anything**

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I'm currently using the latest version of whatsapp installed. But, why there's no change in my whatsapp expiry time? It is listed that my account will expire on August this year.

Mine is always lifetime since I first install back in 2012. Which is why I got puzzled on the subscription based model.
Is the subscription model is based of regional?

duncan402

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
The free service might be provided in the upcoming version of whatsapp lol.
The latest version of whatsapp in the google play is v2.12.367 but the latest apk version in the download section of whatsapp website is 2.12.407.
How can it be?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@restuwt: For sure they did not yet updated cause according to Play Store version information date, its been stated November 2015 so for sure they might forgot to revise but as long the updater function well retrieve the latest version hence no issue should occur.

duncan402

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
@restuwt: For sure they did not yet updated cause according to Play Store version information date, its been stated November 2015 so for sure they might forgot to revise but as long the updater function well retrieve the latest version hence no issue should occur.
You are right. whatsapp has some kind of push update without updating the app via playstore. This morning, my whatsapp account started to have lifetime license

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I've never used it for one giant reason: Every night I look at the google+ communities I'm part of and I swear every day someone is trying to exploit that app in one way or another... Seems like its a huge target for hackers. I wouldn't know its vulnerabilities myself I've never pen tested it but I constantly see hackers talking about it. Always seemed like a risk I'd rather not take.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I've never used it for one giant reason: Every night I look at the google+ communities I'm part of and I swear every day someone is trying to exploit that app in one way or another... Seems like its a huge target for hackers. I wouldn't know its vulnerabilities myself I've never pen tested it but I constantly see hackers talking about it. Always seemed like a risk I'd rather not take.
If you don't mention any sensitive information while chatting with family and friends, then does it matter if it's a target for hackers or not?

duncan402

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
You can try Telegram. It's similar messenger app to whatsapp but has stronger security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.