Why we cannot tolerate unethical behavior in the anti-malware industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yigido

Thread author
When you read an anti-malware product review, you expect an honest representation of the security product. The reviewer also expects that the software submitted for review has not been tampered or falsified from the product available to customers in any way. When these rules of engagement are not met, hard-earned reputations become tarnished and customers are put at unnecessary risk. In the last few weeks, the dishonest actions of a few security vendors has not only impacted the reputation of respected security testing bodies, but impacted the industry as a whole.

How? By e.g. "submitting a different product for review than what was actually offered their users" or by "having optimizations in the product only to perform better in a performance test".

This situation is not unlike someone buying a car based on a review highlighting its great NCAP rating for safety, only to find that the model purchased does not even include an airbag. Not only are the reputations of the car manufacturer, sellers and testing bodies are all negatively impacted, but the security of the purchaser is also put at risk.

If the security product delivered to consumers or businesses differs from the one reviewed by a reputable testing body, it could give the buyer a false sense of security. The results for the user could vary from malicious attackers accessing sensitive data to total disruption of the system and user experience.

Cheating goes against everything AMTSO stands for. Our mission is to improve the relevance and accuracy of anti-malware products testing. It is something that benefits all the community:

• product testing drives anti-malware vendors to improve their solutions:
    • encourages innovation so vendors can offer better solutions than their competitors
    • finds product issues and bugs to be resolved by vendors before products are dispatched to users
  • better solutions provides more resilient threat protection for users; and
  • better testing provides users with data to make an informed decision about what solutions fit their specific needs in order to get the best protection.

Conversely, bad testing harms us all:

• anti-malware vendors focus on ways to obtain better testing results, rather than researching and developing better protection for users;
  • bad testing provides consumers and businesses with misleading information; and
  • the reputations of all involved are tarnished.

Testing plays an important role in benchmarking a vendor’s solution for both existing users and prospects, but it is vital that submitted products are not tampered with for the benefit of achieving a better testing result. This approach is not only dishonest and unethical, but it puts everyone - from tester, to seller, to buyer, to user - at risk.

Reputable testers set up an environment that emulate the real-world as closely as possible. The tester hammers the security product against real-world threats and recording the behavior - both good and bad - for the vendor. This approach allows the anti-malware vendor to review the findings and improve the solution for the benefit of its users.

In the case where the product delivered to the testers is falsified or tampered with in some way in order to achieve a better test result, the test cannot reflect the anti-malware product’s true capability. Testers waste their time analysing findings of a bogus product and readers of those tests are misguided about the product’s true capabilities.

Ultimately, ethics play a central role for both the testers and vendors. Unethical behavior cannot be tolerated and decisions need to be made about how to penalise those who have bypassed the rules of engagement in order to falsely achieve a better testing result.

Stripping dishonest vendors of previously earned testing certifications and awards is a viable approach. Going public when a vendor breaks the rules of engagement is also important: it sends a clear warning to other vendors about the importance of ethical behavior.

The AMTSO Board

Y

yigido

Thread author
Im curious as to why these testers do not just download 30 day trials like the rest of us, of the user standard solutions and test them, instead of having a "submitted" versions. This will solve the problem as a whole.
This is exactly what I think. And I thought that they download the softwares like us but they get the softwares from vendors. It is a vulnerability that Qihoo exploited the vulnerability with this way. Strange

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Tampered or not, Qihoo still scores outstanding results in the same "independent tests" here at MalwareTips from the version available at their homesite. The product, the features, the price are all the same, just a few customization here and there.

Nothing is flawed here, the independent labs has to *facepalm* themselves for their own methodology of accepting products that vendors give them, instead of testing from the product site. Didn't they recognize their own mistake? Who is to be blamed?

Last edited:

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Im curious as to why these testers do not just download 30 day trials like the rest of us, of the user standard solutions and test them, instead of having a "submitted" versions. This will solve the problem as a whole.
This is exactly what I think. And I thought that they download the softwares like us but they get the softwares from vendors. It is a vulnerability that Qihoo exploited the vulnerability with this way. Strange

That's what they do.
I think it was already said few times in the forum.

Maikuolan

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2015
Amen to that.

Regarding why testers accept software from vendors rather than obtaining it through the same means as would a user; I can theorise one situation where that may be the warranted, appropriate course of action for testing: When a particular anti-malware solution is still in beta stage, or alternatively, when a new version of a particular product is in need of testing, prior to its release (such as in the cases of "closed beta tests" or testing for release candidates of software for bugs or other related problems prior to their release). However, I can't think of any specific examples here, and I'd imagine that most such vendors, when faced with the example situation I've just mentioned, would generally only be wanting such tests done for the purposes of improving their product prior to release or for further development, and so, in that situation, dodgy or unreliable test results isn't so much an issue in so much as it'd be expected that the product being tested and the product to be eventually released wouldn't be entirely the same product anyhow.

But, so far as goes the testing of products that are live and already accessible to the public, absolutely; Vendors should ensure that what they're having tested is the same as that which is available to their users, and likewise, testers shouldn't necessarily trust that the vendors are going to oblige by that, either.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Independent testing organizations should conduct a surprise/hidden test where results will be publish suddenly, a part of contract where all the security companies join should agree in these conditions as no announcement for any upcoming test, everything are at random times to be conducted. ;)

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
That's what they do.
I think it was already said few times in the forum.
Guys what Malware1 was trying to say here is that the testers DO get the products from the vendors' websites. Qihoo made their 'test-ready' version available to the public as well (at the very least in some regions), meaning it is possible some users are running those fraudulent versions to this day.

hoang2007

Level 1
Verified
Feb 22, 2015
I completely agree with the article. Unethical behavior should not be tolerated in business. One more thing I would like to mention is that those who argued that Qihoo just made 'a few customization here and there' were misled. The version that Qihoo sent to testing labs included a disabled QVM engine while the widely-available one was made with QVM engine always on. This is a big difference because Qihoo users CANNOT turn QVM engine off in any way.
Qihoo should have apologized for this dishonest and unethical behavior instead of arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.