Windows 10 Clean Install

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
My laptop originally had Vista. Got free upgrade disc for Win 7 from HP. I did clean install of Win 7 & downloaded the drivers for Win 7 from HP site for my laptop.

Now to clean install Win 10, I have to use the same downloaded Win 7 drivers?

Reactions: Logethica

chuotconleader

Jun 26, 2015
My laptop originally had Vista. Got free upgrade disc for Win 7 from HP. I did clean install of Win 7 & downloaded the drivers for Win 7 from HP site for my laptop.

use Win 8.1's drivers for Wind 10 ^^

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013

Based on my suggestion, don't be in a hurry to install Windows 10 on ur PC. Its risk upgrading directly unless its sure that it doesn't contain any bugs or glitches. Wait for a month for its updates and then you may decide ur upgrade. If if u really want to go ahead and take risks, u can install and enjoy. I am sure it will some issues unless its one or two months old.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Yes Win10 has bugs and glitches; hence it isn't released yet. However, I'm running it and I recommend build 10130 ISO or newer. My games are working, no BSODs, just minor glitches. OneDrive seems to work well.

For your Vista box, you could just remain in the Insider program to keep Win10 for free on it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Considering the age of the laptop, circa 2006-2009? You could get along with generic drivers, unless needed for special keys.

Windows 10 RTM will be released soon, and if you install the Get Windows 10 app via WU, it'll perform a compatibility check.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You will need to use the generic drivers, or stay with Windows 7 SP1. But there is zero loss if you upgrade to Windows 10.

Alternatively check the hardware manufacturers site for each component, for example, the touchpad or graphics card.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Don't use HP (or any other PC OEM drivers); instead, look for the device OEM (i.e. Intel, nVidia, Renesas, etc.). Except for video, I'm using Microsoft drivers. I removed the Sound Blaster Fatal1ty card since the drivers won't be available until October; on-board works fine (though lacks the fidelity of the SB but that's OK for now).

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
But wont HP i.e manufacturers drivers would be better than device companys latest driver as HP drivers are tested with the specific models?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
No. HP doesn't make drivers; they just test/repackage/brand what the device manufacturer makes. The biggest issue with this is that they stop updating them very quickly. Even video cards have this (or at least, used to) and especially laptops. My MSI laptop has video drivers I can download from MSI...if I want old versions of nVidia drivers. Rarely would one need a brand-specific driver and even then, it's just a vendor ID change in the driver inf file.

Safest way to check: download/unzip newest device driver download. Open device manager, right-click the device in question and "Update driver..." and browse to the unzipped driver folder and see if it updates. Note that this doesn't always work, so don't take it as a negative.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In upgrading that OS, better check the drivers for latest OS support (8/8.1) but the compatibility assistant should automatically run and place under Windows 7 even you use that developers version / stable (if release).

Speaking for OEM based, well just check the video cards only for latest updates but directly to the manufacturer. WIFI, Bluetooth, Touchpad and others can run without any problem at majority of OS.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Should I go for the latest drivers directly from the manufacturers like intel, broadcom, realtek, etc...?
Would this cause any probs & damage the system?
If it will not damage the system, I could try. I can always reinstall OS if needed.
Any other probs installing latest drivers directly from manufacturers?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You won't damage anything. Really, just install Win10 and go from there. If you have problems, research that specific problem; chances are you'll find a solution.

Either way, I don't recommend HP, et. al. repackaged drivers unless you have no alternative. (The same applies to motherboard manufacturers.)

Use DXdiag to get an inventory of your hardware and drivers.

It should go without saying, backup your irreplaceable files.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Should I go for the latest drivers directly from the manufacturers like intel, broadcom, realtek, etc...?
Would this cause any probs & damage the system?
If it will not damage the system, I could try. I can always reinstall OS if needed.
Any other probs installing latest drivers directly from manufacturers?
I would get the drivers from the manufacturers site ie Nvidia/Realtek etc!
You normally get the latest drivers by doing this!

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
theorically, Win10 should have main drivers for almost all machines made since win7, so unless you need very specific drivers , you shouldn't have issues.
Drivers through windows updates or manufacturers like intel, realtek, etc would be good?
Does windows updates provides latest drivers?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I would get the drivers from the manufacturers site ie Nvidia/Realtek etc!
You normally get the latest drivers by doing this!
I just checked manufacturers site for latest drivers. And its little confusing for me. There are quite a few drivers. Its a little difficult task for me to find correct latest drivers.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I just checked manufacturers site for latest drivers. And its little confusing for me. There are quite a few drivers. Its a little difficult task for me to find correct latest drivers.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance in this regard!:)
In the meantime this is what I use!
http://malwaretips.com/threads/driver-pack-solution-14-only-disk-youll-ever-need.23880/
Kudos to Bora!!

It will search for updated drivers and install automatically!
The full suite is a large download but it covers all you bases!!

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
They do but they are not always the best. Occasionally, they don't work but more often, they aren't complete, specifically the video drivers--always get those from nVidia, AMD, Voodoo3Dfx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.