Windows 7 Firewall Detect Outgoing Transmissions?

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
If Win 7 Firewall won't detect send to home transmissions what firewall do I need to get? Thanks! Marg

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
ZoneAlarm is currently regarded as one of the best free firewalls available, it actively resists being killed and is more persistent than Comodo Firewall meaning malware will find it harder to switch this off whilst going unnoticed. Although as with all free firewalls there is no 'HIPS' that is Host Intrusion Prevention System, that's essentially a fancy way of saying they'll protect you from active hackers using exploits to attempt to penetrate your system.

Believe it or not Norton's firewall has very good intrusion prevention, as does Kaspersky Internet Security although these are both paid products so that's something to consider ;)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Is zone alarm compatible with Win 7 firewall?

Fully compatible so far as I'm aware :) I used them both earlier this year for three or four months without any problems, though you might have to configure Zone Alarm to allow applications such as Steam to run properly (if your son does any online gaming).

Reactions: Koroke San

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Fully compatible so far as I'm aware :) I used them both earlier this year for three or four months without any problems, though you might have to configure Zone Alarm to allow applications such as Steam to run properly (if your son does any online gaming).
How about a combination of ESET firewall with wireless router one?

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
How about a combination of ESET firewall with wireless router one?

Ah yes ESET Firewall, very lightweight and good protection, but as with Norton and Kaspersky above, it's bundled with the Smart Security antivirus product, so if you already have an antivirus and just want a firewall it might not be the best choice :)

Which wireless router firewall are you thinking of? You mean a hardware firewall or some kind of firmware, or am I misunderstanding (probably) http://malwaretips.com/styles/MalwareTips/xenforo/clear.png

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
ZoneAlarm is currently regarded as one of the best free firewalls available, it actively resists being killed and is more persistent than Comodo Firewall meaning malware will find it harder to switch this off whilst going unnoticed. Although as with all free firewalls there is no 'HIPS' that is Host Intrusion Prevention System, that's essentially a fancy way of saying they'll protect you from active hackers using exploits to attempt to penetrate your system.

Believe it or not Norton's firewall has very good intrusion prevention, as does Kaspersky Internet Security although these are both paid products so that's something to consider ;)
Doesn't Emsisoft Online Armor have HIPS in the freeware version?
Also, @Cowpipe, is there any firewall (other than Online Armor) that doesn't bombard users with popups?

Edit (More questions, sorry @Cowpipe)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Doesn't Emsisoft Online Armor have HIPS in the freeware version?
Also, @Cowpipe, is there any firewall (other than Online Armor) that doesn't bombard users with popups?

AShampoo Free doesn't have any popups once you take it out of learning mode. It will only allow the applications you have specified to connect to the internet (inbound/outbound) and everything else will be denied, no popups or warnings presented but you can view them in the statistics. I use it on my computer.

Unfortunately AShampoo's self defence is pretty poor as it's mostly reliant on a windows service, which can be stopped. You can sort of get around this with the Group Policy Editor but it's a bit of a hack ;)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
AShampoo Free doesn't have any popups once you take it out of learning mode. It will only allow the applications you have specified to connect to the internet (inbound/outbound) and everything else will be denied, no popups or warnings presented but you can view them in the statistics. I use it on my computer.

Unfortunately AShampoo's self defence is pretty poor as it's mostly reliant on a windows service, which can be stopped. You can sort of get around this with the Group Policy Editor but it's a bit of a hack ;)
Sorry @Cowpipe, but more questions await :D

1. Is Ashampoo Free a good firewall compared to Comodo/ZoneAlarm/Windows?
2. Does it filter 2-way (In and Out)?
3. What is the best firewall other than Online Armor, which doesn't work on my system?

Reactions: Cowpipe and marg

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Sorry @Cowpipe, but more questions await :D

1. Is Ashampoo Free a good firewall compared to Comodo/ZoneAlarm/Windows?
2. Does it filter 2-way (In and Out)?
3. What is the best firewall other than Online Armor, which doesn't work on my system?

1. Apart from the lack of self defence Ashampoo Free is a pretty good firewall. It's functionality is fairly basic but it works. There isn't any HIPS though.
2. Yes it has 2-way filtering on a per-application (per exe) level ;)
3. Hmm, very tough one. What functionality are you looking for? Just a simple firewall, HIPS, anti-phishing, anti-spam etc?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If Win 7 Firewall won't detect send to home transmissions what firewall do I need to get? Thanks! Marg
What sent to home transmissions are you worried about?
As long as you only have safe programs on your system then it should not be a problem. If you don't trust a certain program then uninstall it and use something else.
If you want to block a certain program from connecting you can open "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" and create custom rules.

Enjoy!! :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
1. Apart from the lack of self defence Ashampoo Free is a pretty good firewall. It's functionality is fairly basic but it works. There isn't any HIPS though.
2. Yes it has 2-way filtering on a per-application (per exe) level ;)
3. Hmm, very tough one. What functionality are you looking for? Just a simple firewall, HIPS, anti-phishing, anti-spam etc?
3. I need a fairly strong simple firewall without popups. HIPS would be an added bonus, but it's not needed

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
3. I need a fairly strong simple firewall without popups. HIPS would be an added bonus, but it's not needed

I would recommend a combination of Windows Firewall and TinyWall (which hardens Windows Firewall). You won't get any popups, there's no HIPS but if you have anti-virus any web protection will cover this. It's a simple, configure once and forget kind of setup and very, very lightweight with good self protection. :)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I would recommend a combination of Windows Firewall and TinyWall (which hardens Windows Firewall). You won't get any popups, there's no HIPS but if you have anti-virus any web protection will cover this. It's a simple, configure once and forget kind of setup and very, very lightweight with good self protection. :)
Thanks for the info! :)
My apologies, you're absolutely right there, good catch Littlebits!
Don't worry, I wasn't going to download Ashampoo anyways... ;)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Ah yes ESET Firewall, very lightweight and good protection, but as with Norton and Kaspersky above, it's bundled with the Smart Security antivirus product, so if you already have an antivirus and just want a firewall it might not be the best choice :)

Which wireless router firewall are you thinking of? You mean a hardware firewall or some kind of firmware, or am I misunderstanding (probably) http://malwaretips.com/styles/MalwareTips/xenforo/clear.png
I bought a digisol wireless router & i'm talking about it's hardware firewall.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
@marg As far as I know Windows firewall works without many pop ups and annoying user about what he/she want to do, it's silent and effective unlike most of 3rd party firewall. Some people think "Windows firewall doesn't simply work!!" just because it doesn't pop ups, again..as far as I know it using whitelisting list, if a program listed on whitelist then it would automatically allow it (like most major browsers) if an unknown program detected by windows firewall (like in your case) then it will gonna ask you whether you allow it or not.

Also you can easily block or allow any programs by creating a rule in your windows firewall with advanced setting, it's pretty easy and effective, although I prefer just uninstall it then problem solved. As for me..if I don't want a program run on my computer and getting the internet, I think the best way to avoid this is just don't install it at the first place.

If somehow you didn't get pop ups while you running an unknown program, then this article may useful for you
How to create advanced rules in Windows Firewall

I'm not a fan of HIPS based firewall, if I want 3rd party firewall, I prefer a pure firewall like windows firewall control (it using windows firewall component, the difference it will ask user whether to allow/block an outbound connection without any difficulty) just in case you interested this article may useful How to extend windows firewall and easily block outgoing connection and my last choice..I'm gonna suggest tiny firewall, it's simple and it's free :)

PS : What Cowpipe suggested is right, Norton firewall and kaspersky is really good, although since it's built in with it's AV component, then you need to pay both :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Win Firewall works at kernel level , others not; you want be good at security , just learn the basics; when you will know Win Firewall you will not need other firewalls and you will say " damn, im good ! "

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.