Guide | How To Windows 7 - Start Menu Search Fix

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Sometimes this happens even if your indexing service is on.

errorvo.jpg

So here is a simple regedit Trick by me on how I fix this problem as It happens often in my Brother's Laptop. There might be many other tricks which I don't know of but I think this 1 is most easy and trustful and I've tested this many times and it works without any problem :)

OK to people who have this problem will not be able to open regedit from Windows start menu search.
So Open My Computer > Open Local Disk C: > Open Windows folder
there u will find regedit open that
Open these keys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{EF87B4CB-F2CE-4785-8658-4CA6C63E38C6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Click on the {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} key and on the right side
Change the value of GroupBy from System.Null to System.StartMenu.Group

This fix also requires explorer.exe kill and restart or reboot ur PC to make registry changes as we all know.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks for posting it :) It is helpful if some have this problem. I am not trying to be mean but you should credit the source from where the information was obtained and not the other way around.
This has been a known issue since 2009 and the fix you posted has been known since then also,I know because I am a TechNet member and Windows7 IT Pro Forum Member

Here about the 8th post down "Proposed Answer by Chris DeLashmutt Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:59 PM"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/cc594db0-dbe8-4255-a259-5c1914318c3d

Here for credit for the registry edit

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/when-searching-in-windows-7-i-only-get-a-list-of/cc378149-8765-498a-9480-b1b494e1a1a9?auth=1

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
OK thanks for the info sir.
But as I said I've done this trick
which I'd learnt from a guy on sevenforums and he showed me how to this this through teamviewer some 2 years back
and I'm a member here from only 1 month & have started posting tutorials now
So before posting any tutorial that I personally know and I haven't taken it from anywhere on the internet should I still Google if it exists
and nowadays there's like no trick left that u cannot get on Google by searching and If the post exists on some website then I should give credit and Link to that website's posts just because the tutorial that I want to post here exists long before on other website right.
If that's the rule then it would make my task more easier.
I would only post helpful tutorials, Google them, finds its link and post it in the description along with the tutorial subject and write less about it the description.
That would save me a lot typing but make me search more about the topic I wish to post for tutorials :/
And u can compare mine and the link which u gave. Both the posts are not exact so I haven't copied it from that site
its just that I knew only this way to solve the win 7 start menu search problem and I said here in my 1st post there might exist many which I don't know of but I've always had success with this easy trick so I though that it might help. :(

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am not saying your post is not helpful and this is not the place to argue it.However your last line has been edited which before you modified it{Today, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: Today 08:09 PM by whizkidraj.)}, was an exact quote from the 8th post on the forum link I posted

Chris DeLashmutt said:
The fix does require a kill/restart of explorer.exe, or you can just logout and log back in after making the registry change.

Even if you put it in your own words you should still credit the source,I am pretty experienced in computing and I am not sure If I could remember this registry key off the top of my head to post in a tutorial without first referencing it

whizkidraj said:
{EF87B4CB-F2CE-4785-8658-4CA6C63E38C6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Yes sir U r more experienced in computing than me, no doubt. But as I said I've done this trick many times as it happens often so this is only about this trick's experience and not about the whole computing so It is easy for me to remember this as I practice this many times.

And I read that my last line was same as that of the 8th post of Mr.Chris DeLashmutt because I copied it from what IoNiiK, had written in the notepad and explained me so I copied his statement as It was looking perfectly framed sentence and I edited it because I knew other people would think that I copied it from that social.technet site.
So I've written statement of IoNiiK in my notepad of the guidelines on how to do this trick which I've saved for future reference and many more tricks which I now think have to search on google for to get the links i.e source. I think I should have asked IoNiiK from which link he teached me this trick and should have equally thanked Mr.Chris DeLashmutt along with IoNiiK since he was the Source of it. Comeon :/.
U r doubting too much I'm replying so much only because I know I haven't copied this.
I had copied my 1st tutorial http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Fix-Cannot-add-features-to-Windows-8 from a link and I didn't knew that I had to put the source here for it. But I apologized for it and assured it wouldn't happen again from my 2nd tutorial and this is my 2nd tutorial so please have mercy on me and trust me if u can as I said that if I do copy a tutorial I would definitely give a link to it as it would save me this much of explanation and typing. Phew !

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
I don't have that registry value:) so I guess this is why the Start Menu Search results are displayed with the correct icon:)

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
hehe Coffeeman :p. Thanks for bringing some brilliant humour to this post :D. And thanks for Ur views. I would backup my registry first and surely try to get rid of this registry value as well. This might be the ultimate solution and Credit to U sir :angel:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.