Solved Windows Vista infected with US DOJ virus

CAM29

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
After I click OK on the pop up message, in the command prompt window below the command (sfc /verifyonly) I just ran, it states Access Denied.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt and save it to your USB flashdrive as fixlist.txt

>> Boot into Recovery Environment

Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  • Press the Fix button once and wait.
  • FRST will process fixlist.txt
  • When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your USB flashdrive.

>> Exit out of Recovery Environment and post me the log please.

Try to boot Windows normally...

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    434 bytes · Views: 37

CAM29

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Same message. I did get the original install disks from my co-worker. Would you like for me to try and do the repair with the disks? Here is the log file. Thanks.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    1,012 bytes · Views: 81

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I really don't know where is this virus hiding, I checked everything and can't find the source. Please attach fresh FRST scan report for my last check.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
You have a lot of system restore points. Can you try to use one of them to restore your system to the time before infection.

CAM29

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Would you recommend trying the repair with the install disk or just format and start over? Just want to be sure if the repair works and I boot up normally that the virus will not surface again.

CAM29

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
As for the restore. I do not have that option when pressing F8. I am not able to start in safe mode at all so, not able to launch restore manually.

CAM29

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
I ran the repair off of the install disk and am now able to boot in to Windows. Here is another log I ran while in Windows.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    16.3 KB · Views: 42
  • FRST.txt
    20.6 KB · Views: 40

CAM29

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
I have given the PC back to my co-worker and she claims it has been running fine. We thank you for all your help.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.