µBlock - Lightweight AdBlocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorhill

Level 1
Sep 18, 2014
I have seen the possible "bug" he is referring to, I can't reproduce it on demand though. Sometimes a pop-up window will get through and open up in a background tab. It is very rare though.

Ok, sorry I wasn't clear, when I said "no bug", I was referring to the purported slowness of uBlock here. For ads getting through, I can't dismiss that beforehand -- that would be silly of me, I always investigate if I am given a reproducible scenario.

Re. performance, given the countless benchmarks I ran and keep running, stating that "ublock slows my chrome startup and browsing speed" with no supporting evidence, and especially in opposition to all the benchmarks I've ran, this will need supporting evidence if it is stated as fact like it is above, as in giving people a precise scenario to repeat so that they can reproduce. All my benchmarks comes with details about how to reproduce them, I do my home work and I stand by it.

Just being able to read JS code is enough to understand that "ublock slows my chrome" it is quite a dubious statement: ABP injects unconditionally 14,000+ CSS rules in every page and every frame on a page, while uBlock injects only what is found to be relevant to the web page. I currently see 24 CSS rules injected by uBlock right now on this page as I write this, and that is with a lot of filter lists (Fanboy's Annoyance/Enhanced, EasyList, EasyPrivacy, etc.). And that's just one aspect where uBlock outperforms ABP. Not using regular expression for most of the network filters is another one which allows uBlock to outperform ABP. Even the loading of filter lists is more efficient with uBlock as opposed to what is said above.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I do not know :( used it with the same settings as I do with abp ( fanboys ultimate all options )
Sometimes, as with identical systems using identical browsers, performance may vary.
To this day, I remain puzzled:confused: as to why this happens yet it does.:oops: If one adblocker works better on your system then that's what works best for you.;) starchild, the fact you've tested ublock and specifically been open to give it a try helps to improve it among others, imho, and thus all others benefit in this process and spirit in searching for improvement.:):)

hopefully_secure

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
Ok, sorry I wasn't clear, when I said "no bug", I was referring to the purported slowness of uBlock here. For ads getting through, I can't dismiss that beforehand -- that would be silly of me, I always investigate if I am given a reproducible scenario.

Re. performance, given the countless benchmarks I ran and keep running, stating that "ublock slows my chrome startup and browsing speed" with no supporting evidence, and especially in opposition to all the benchmarks I've ran, this will need supporting evidence if it is stated as fact like it is above, as in giving people a precise scenario to repeat so that they can reproduce. All my benchmarks comes with details about how to reproduce them, I do my home work and I stand by it.

Just being able to read JS code is enough to understand that "ublock slows my chrome" it is quite a dubious statement: ABP injects unconditionally 14,000+ CSS rules in every page and every frame on a page, while uBlock injects only what is found to be relevant to the web page. I currently see 24 CSS rules injected by uBlock right now on this page as I write this, and that is with a lot of filter lists (Fanboy's Annoyance/Enhanced, EasyList, EasyPrivacy, etc.). And that's just one aspect where uBlock outperforms ABP. Not using regular expression for most of the network filters is another one which allows uBlock to outperform ABP. Even the loading of filter lists is more efficient with uBlock as opposed to what is said above.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. uBlock is definitely very light, very fast and very efficient, it is the best out there for sure.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Adguard (App) Vs µBlock (Memory Consumption)
adguardvsublock.jpg

Reactions: Kent

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Sometimes, as with identical systems using identical browsers, performance may vary.
To this day, I remain puzzled:confused: as to why this happens yet it does.:oops: If one adblocker works better on your system then that's what works best for you.;) starchild, the fact you've tested ublock and specifically been open to give it a try helps to improve it among others, imho, and thus all others benefit in this process and spirit in searching for improvement.:):)

Agree with you :)

Reactions: silversurfer

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Ok, sorry I wasn't clear, when I said "no bug", I was referring to the purported slowness of here. For ads getting through, I can't dismiss that beforehand -- that would be silly of me, I always investigate if I am given a reproducible scenario.

Thanks for making such excellent extensions :D:D Should one deactivate ghostery if EasyPrivacy list is selected?
A suggestion-----Can you incorporate right click menu to hide unwanted elements?
Wish you could create uBlock for firefox too;)

Y

yigido

Thanks for making such excellent extensions :D:D Should one deactivate ghostery if EasyPrivacy list is selected?
A suggestion-----Can you incorporate right click menu to hide unwanted elements?
Wish you could create uBlock for firefox too;)
You can use this button to hide elements.
gL5lVL.png

Reactions: Kent

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
How to add custom filters to Chrome ad-blocking extension µBlock
While you can experiment with the lists that it makes available, for instance by adding new lists or removing some that you have no need for, you can also add custom filters to the extension.

There are three types of custom filters that the extension supports:

• Custom filter lists from remote urls.
  • Custom filters that you add to the extension.
  • Whitelist filters to disable the extension on the selected host names.
It is actually very easy to add a new filter list that is available publicly on the Internet. To do so simply add the full path to it to the "custom" text field under 3rd-party filters.

To add the anti-ad-block filter list for example simply add https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/antiadblockfilters.txt as a new line in the field. Once you hit apply, you will notice that the new list is listed under custom so that you can select or deselect it easily from there.

You find filter lists on third party sites such as Fanboy's website, Easylist on the Adblock site or the GamerGate filter list on GitHub.

The second option that you have in regards to custom filters is to add your own. Switch to the "your filters" tab in the options. There you can add one filter per line manually, or use the import and append button to import information from a text file and append those information to the current custom filter list of the extension.

It is alternatively possible to copy filters to the clipboard and paste them into the field on the page directly.
Full Article

Reactions: yigido

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
One of the best ad-blockers till now! Light,effective and great on resources.Has anybody tried out µmatrix,which has some added functions besides ad-blocking...

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic
S

Sr. Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.