µBlock - Lightweight AdBlocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
there appears to be a problem with some of the firefox themes and ublock origin..if you for example install the walnut theme then half of the ublock console is missing.
Just thought i would bring this to the attention of this thread.

Reactions: LAGUN

sonylxn

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
why there are more than one ublock?
so, which one should i use? i'm using pale moon and slimjet
thank you for your answer

LAGUN

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 31, 2014
why there are more than one ublock?
He transfer to chrisaljoudi (ublock) , but he still developer ublock and change name to uBlock Origin
- chrisaljoudi developer ublock
- gorhill developer uBlock Origin

so, which one should i use? i'm using pale moon and slimjet
palemoon use ublock because uBlock Origin doesn't show icon on palemoon
slimjet use uBlock Origin

Y

yigido

uBlock vs uBlock Origin [FAQ]

uBlock vs. uBlock Origin: what's the difference?

Citing frustration with the increasing volume of support and feature requests from users of uBlock, gorhill (the original developer behind uBlock) transferred ownership of the project to the current uBlock development team, composed of contributors to the original project.
Chris Aljoudi is now the lead developer of uBlock. Alex Vallat heads Firefox development, bringing uBlock to hundreds of thousands of Mozilla fans.
After transferring ownership of the uBlock project, gorhill forked uBlock into uBlock Origin, a personal fork for which he's been releasing builds and providing support via the extension's Chrome Web Store entry.
After the transfer, there were some issues regarding wording and attribution. After consulting with gorhill, this was promptly addressed and resolved — gorhill and the team are content and satisfied with the resolution.
Even though there were no malicious intents or actual conflicts within the team, various aggressive false rumors and accusations were being spread. Some of those are:
  • gorhill was forced to give up uBlock for legal reasons.
  • uBlock was "bought" from gorhill.
  • uBlock is attempting to monetize.
  • uBlock is an illegitimate "clone" of uBlock Origin.
... and various others. The accusations have no basis in truth, and probably rather the result of some form of the "telephone"/Chinese whispers game.
It's been openly discussed and offered to transfer uBlock back to gorhill; he has declined the offer.
Which one am I using? Should I switch to the other one?

You can tell by looking at the uBlock icon:
ublock-ublock-origin-icons.png

If you're using uBlock Origin, you're welcome to move over to the main uBlock project. uBlock is actively supported by the uBlock development team.
Alternatively, if you wish to use gorhill's personal fork, please feel free to do so. gorhill has stated he will focus on maintenance.
In contrast, the uBlock project will be moving forward with awesome new features, refinements, and enhancements. We at the uBlock team are very excited and looking forward to improving your web experience even further.
We'd love to have you onboard with us at the uBlock project. We're committed to designing and developing uBlock to be a delightful tool — as well as backing it up with excellent support.

Source : https://www.ublock.org/faq/

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Ublock Origin now Prevents WebRTC from leaking the local IP addresses
New Privacy setting added to Ublock stops WebRTC from revealing local IP addresses of VPN users. A security flaw in WebRTC leaks local IP addresses of users, even those using VPNs to websites from Firefox and Chrome browsers on Windows. Since disabling WebRTC stops apps and services from running, it is not recommended to do that, till now no adblocker prevented this from happening (?).

Ublock Origin’s current dev version 0.9.9.3 has a Privacy option to stop this from happening. This version soon will be available on AMO and Chrome Web store when reaches stable stage.

All you need to do is, install this version of extension in Chrome or Firefox browser, visit Settings, under Privacy enable, ‘Prevent WebRTC from leaking the local IP address’.

ublock-Origin-WebRTC-IP-address-leak-related-privacy-setting.png

We’ve tested this extension on Chrome Canary and Firefox 39 beta, and testing sitehttps://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/ hasn’t shown the local IP address assigned by the ISP to computer, but https://ipleak.net/ site did.

Note: Developer says this version works for Chromium-based browsers only on version 42+.
Full Article

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Ublock Origin now Prevents WebRTC from leaking the local IP addresses
New Privacy setting added to Ublock stops WebRTC from revealing local IP addresses of VPN users. A security flaw in WebRTC leaks local IP addresses of users, even those using VPNs to websites from Firefox and Chrome browsers on Windows. Since disabling WebRTC stops apps and services from running, it is not recommended to do that, till now no adblocker prevented this from happening (?).

wow, thank you very much.

Guess I'm late to the party. I don't use VPN but still these kind of bugs are annoying.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
on a side note noscript also has this functionality but i find it weird that local and public address is blocked on one test site and revealed on another.Are these test sites totally legitimate.?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Amiga500 : The effectivity of blocking WebRTC leakage on local IP address is vary, depends on how the algorithm implemented. The link is stated on the version of that adblocker incorporate blocking feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sloth and Oxygen

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
He transfer to chrisaljoudi (ublock) , but he still developer ublock and change name to uBlock Origin
- chrisaljoudi developer ublock
- gorhill developer uBlock Origin

palemoon use ublock because uBlock Origin doesn't show icon on palemoon
slimjet use uBlock Origin
Have you tried looking in the palemoon customisation section for the icon..?
This used to occur in firefox and i simply had to move the icon to the toolbar.

Reactions: LAGUN

LAGUN

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 31, 2014
Have you tried looking in the palemoon customisation section for the icon..?
This used to occur in firefox and i simply had to move the icon to the toolbar.
yes, i looking in the palemoon customisation section for the icon but It is past uBlock Origin doesn't show icon on palemoon because not support.
Currently there is no problem.

hpilot

Sep 22, 2015
uBlock Origin adds "counter easy hit" to every web page in Google Chrome. How can I stop this, and is it malware?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's whatever filter list you are using fault.
I used the default lists, at the time of posting. The default should be most compatible for all users' of uBlock.

Reactions: Kent
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.