Serious Discussion ‘Privacy Nightmare on Wheels’: Every Car Brand Reviewed By Mozilla

nicolaasjan

Level 3
Thread author
May 29, 2023

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Published Sept 6, 2023

It’s Official: Cars Are the Worst Product Category We Have Ever Reviewed for Privacy

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...t-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/

What Data Does My Car Collect About Me and Where Does It Go?
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...my-car-collect-about-me-and-where-does-it-go/

After Researching Cars and Privacy, Here’s What Keeps Us up at Night
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...-and-privacy-heres-what-keeps-us-up-at-night/

New Mozilla research has revealed that popular global car brands — like Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, Kia, Audi, Jeep, Honda, Volkswagen, and more — are collecting your deeply personal data, like your genetic information and sexual activity. This invasive harvesting of information is collected via a web of sensors, microphones, cameras and the phones, apps, and connected services you use in your vehicle.

Car companies are brazenly collecting deeply personal information about people the moment they get into a car, often without explicit consent to do so. And that’s why the Mozilla community is now coming together to force car companies to respect our right to privacy. Add your name to ask car companies to stop collecting, sharing and selling our very personal information.
Petition: *Privacy Not Included: A Buyer’s Guide for Connected Products

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
In high school, I had a '51 Ford 2 dr. It was a stupid car that couldn't do anything without somebody to start and steer it. It was also easy to work on, got 23 miles per gallon, and was loyal and didn't spy on you. Wish I still had it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Need to come up with ways to disable these devices, and or use a faraday shield or cover over the transmitter/receiver so nothing can be received or sent.
  • Remove the eSIM / SIM card from the vehicle (Warning: may break or void features).
  • Remove the interior microphone (Warning: may break or void features)
  • Avoid connecting your Phone to the Infotainment system.
  • Avoid using the Remote features and the Phone App.
  • Avoid EVs
  • Buy or Build a DIY kit car
  • Get your vehicle licence revoked
  • Commute using Public transport
  • Bicycle (short trips)

Article posted by TechRadar.com, 2016:
Furse says BMW's connectivity track record dates back to 1972 and its Turbo Concept, which sported telematics and radar cruise control. In 1999 BMW released the first production car with telematics capable of connecting remotely with a car manufacturer's back-end systems.

"Since 2014, a SIM card has been fitted to every BMW," Furse says, "and 90 percent of BMWs currently on sale are available with 4G connectivity".

That connectivity is built in not only to allow for existing technologies such as real-time traffic updates, and remote services like unlocking doors via a smartphone app, but also to ensure that BMW's are ready to be connected to new services and technologies.
Also applies to other car manufacturers.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
It's scary to think my car hasn't had a software update since it was manufactured. There is technically one software update but it's nearly impossible to install unless you go to an authorized dealership and they rip you off for installing an update from 8 years ago that does almost nothing for security.

That combined with their privacy policies as exposed by Mozilla is just scary.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
90s and early - mid 2000 year cars are the king
A good reason to buy a newer vehicle would be for better crash safety standards. If have responsibilities (ie. family, car share, taxi passengers), then a relatively modern car is a no-brainer. If you can afford 2 or more cars, then you can switch between them.

Even though the 1998 model was designed in an era when crash testing was standard procedure, it absolutely crumples in this head-on crash at 64 km/h (roughly 40 mph). The photos taken after the crash tell the tale: The 2015 Toyota's passenger compartment stays largely intact, while the 1998 model is buckled and mangled.

We should point out that, in 1998, Australia and New Zealand did not require airbags in new cars, which is why the green Toyota in this test doesn't have them (that year, both driver and front passenger airbags became mandatory in the US market). Not that they'd really matter: With all that passenger compartment intrusion, and the way the crash test dummy got thrown around, most of the dummy's damage couldn't have been prevented by an airbag.

Source: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...much-car-safety-has-improved-since-the-1990s/

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.