“Cache Issue” Causes Xiaomi Cameras Show Other People’s Feeds

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Chinese electronics maker Xiaomi has shut down the Google Home Hub integration of its security cameras after a cache issue caused some of Xiaomi's camera streams to go to the wrong people.

The bug was first reported by Reddit user Dio-V, with a post titled "When I load the Xiaomi camera in my Google home hub I get stills from other people's homes!!" Dio-V posted a video showing that pressing the "camera" button on a Google Home paired with a Xiaomi camera would, after a long wait, show a corrupted, distorted image. Dio-V says this feed isn't from one of their cameras. The user also posted several stills from other random camera feeds that would pop up on his smart display. After the reddit post, the story was picked up by Android Police, and Google quickly shut down the integration. Google told the site: "We’re aware of the issue and are in contact with Xiaomi to work on a fix. In the meantime, we’re disabling Xiaomi integrations on our devices."

In the US, reports typically refer to Xiaomi as a Chinese smartphone manufacturer that makes wild designs that never come to the US, but over the years Xiaomi has turned into a more general electronics maker. The company's two security cameras, called "Mi Home Security Cameras" or "Xiaomi Mijia" are sold at Amazon and Walmart and start at $40. The cameras are Xiaomi's version of a Dropcam (or, I guess, Nest Cam, now), offering Wi-Fi connectivity and easy-to-use iOS and Android apps for remote monitoring. There's also integration with the Google Home Hub smart display, which can display remote video feeds.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
StarTrek_Picard_15ozBlackMug21531-1_00104_Black_RO_620x.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.