Advice Request 0patch - how safe it really is?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is 0patch safe and trustworthy?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Hi,

I just have seen that some people here are using 0patch so I started to sniffing around and some questions raised immediately.
My biggest concern is the fact that they are releasing patches for Windows vulnerabilities and I am not really convinced that letting any 3rd party playing with the code of critical system components is 100% safe.
What are your thoughts about this?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Seems like a temporary fix for major vulnerabilities, not sure how well it would go with different softwares, might even break some of them with this small piece of code.

I still feel safer waiting for the official patch.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Will it interfere with Windows updates? It looks interesting but i see a potential for a whole new way of being hit by vulnerabilities and bugs that won't receive all the attention from the public that a windows bug does.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Will it interfere with Windows updates? It looks interesting but i see a potential for a whole new way of being hit by vulnerabilities and bugs that won't receive all the attention from the public that a windows bug does.
no it won't, you can instantly remove an exploit patch, their way of doing seems to be unique/easy to disable.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Honestly I have never encountered an exploit in the wild so I'm not sure how much this would actually affect my security, especially if this causes incompatibility issues with their "patched" softwares

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It sounds like you are placing your OS and apps in the hands of an anonymous and loosely organized group of coders. There is no way to know what will happen. The idea makes me nervous.

As long as the patches are open source I wouldn't worry about it... incompatibility, new bugs and new vulnerabilities added by the unofficial patches would be my greatest concern.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How many of us can actually read and understand the source code...?
We can assume that a number of this service's users are experienced coders who are curious enough and paranoid enough to take a look at the patches pushed out to them. So that gives you some built-in community vetting.
But, like @minevese said before: "incompatibility, new bugs and new vulnerabilities added by the unofficial patches would be my greatest concern.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Just to clarify my statement: I don't say that 0patch is unsafe or their intentions are bad but like @shmu26 said:
It sounds like you are placing your OS and apps in the hands of an anonymous and loosely organized group of coders. There is no way to know what will happen. The idea makes me nervous.
IMHO patching of the software should be done by it's original developers and not by group of enthusiasts (no matter how good are their intentions) as this kind of activities could potentially lead to malfunctions and data losses.
Any discovered vulnerabilities should be reported to the developers instead of letting some anonymous coders do their work just to gain profit.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
it's safe I installed it but removed it fast:/also its beta if I'm not wrong.
the Q360 has a better feature that checks ur PC for security patches...

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.