13 more countries join Europol, Kaspersky Lab, Intel in 'No More Ransom' campaign

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
The ‘No More Ransom’ group announced that 13 new countries have joined its effort to collaboratively fight cybercriminals with the private sector.

Since inception, the portal has added a decryptor for the WildFire ransomware strain. Two decryptors have also been updated: Rannoh, to include the strain Marsjoke, or Polyglot, and Rakhni, to include Chimera.

What’s more, during the first two months of the campaign, led by Europol, Dutch National Police, Kaspersky Lab and Intel, more than 2,500 people have successfully decrypted devices using the tools - without paying the ransom, officials said.

The program, as such, has deprived hackers of an estimated $1.5 million (1.3 million euros).

“The initiative has demonstrated a coordinated approach by EU law enforcement that includes all relevant partners can result in significant successes in fighting this type of crime, focusing on the important areas of prevention and awareness,” Steven Wilson, head of the European Cybercrime Centre said in a statement.

And with the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Hungary, Columbia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Latvia and Bosnia and Herzegovina the latest countries to join, officials said said they expect more law enforcement agencies and private sector firms to come on board in the next few months.

Europol has also been working on expanding the program globally and within the European Union and globally, and it’s expected the portal will soon be adapted to support versions with different languages. Further, officials said the project is still reaching out to new private sector companies, from which they’ve received many requests to join.

The portal is designed to both educate and help ransomware victims decrypt data without paying the ransom. The more security firms and law enforcement agencies join the fight, officials explained, the more decryption tools can be created.

“I’m confident the online portal will continue to improve in the months to come,” Wilson added. “All police forces are warmly encouraged to join the fight.”

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Very good to get everyone on board. Welcome back Nico!
Back? Thx but i never went away, just did not have time to hang around on the forum doing over a 100 hours a week will sort of make you not want ro be online if a good sleep is the alternative you see lol. But yeah iam still here as i am not going anywhere lol. You guys are stuck with me .... poor guys ...lol

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As usual there isn't any differentiation between Script-Kiddie ransomware knockoffs for which decryptors are frequently available and the true BlackHat ransomware where they are not available. This is important as the lower level S-K ransomware normally will have limited distribution channels whereas the Pro BlackHat malware, frequently morphed, constitutes the majority of the stuff in the wild.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
If it saves one person the distress, worry and heartache caused by the loss of personal files due to ransomware then it's got to be worthwhile. I'm all for it.

I have to say, I hate any form of ransom or extortion but i particulary hate the electronic form - ransomware - as it acts completely indiscriminately. By that i mean it affects everyone: people who can (if they have no other choice) afford to pay to get their files back, but also those who can't. Those who can't don't have any choice but to rely on initiatives/groups like this one existing. It's a good job they do.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not a bad move, remember that [unity] it can be helpful to each other by providing rapid solution on possible recovering the files;

Ransomware is a pain to everyone and sometimes those decrypted solutions may not be available because of possible limited references.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
My friend (a nurse) was recently hit by crypto-ransomware, not too sure which one, luckily he didn't pay the ransom and it was an old laptop with little content, so he brought a new one. Like many computer/windows users he was a novice who had no clue this kind of malware existed, nor did he realise the help available out there - he was using Windows defender. Just as James points out people who are hit do not have a clue about free decryption tools, or other protection methods, that's what companies need to target, and make it common knowledge.

I know what Nico says, I'm currently doing an all-nighter for a 30 minute presentation with 15 minutes worth of questions, and I am crapping myself, I'd drink Vodka beforehand, but cannot afford to fall over and go from doctor to patient!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.