Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Europol has notified over 400 websites that their online shops have been hacked with malicious scripts that steal debit and credit cards from customers making purchases.

Skimmers are small snippets of JavaScript code added to checkout pages or loaded from a remote resource to evade detection. They are designed to intercept and steal payment card numbers, expiration dates, verification numbers, names, and shipping addresses and then upload the information to the attackers' servers.

Threat actors use the stolen data to perform unauthorized transactions, such as online purchases, or resell them to other cybercriminals on dark web marketplaces.

These attacks can go undetected for weeks or even several months, and depending on the popularity of the breached e-commerce platforms, cybercriminals can collect large numbers of payment card details.

Coordinated by Europol and spearheaded by Greece, a two-month international operation involving law enforcement from 17 countries and private entities such as Group-IB and Sansec identified skimmer infections on 443 websites.

"With the support of national Computer Security Incident Response Teams (CSIRT), the two-month action has enabled Europol and its partners to notify 443 online merchants that their customers' credit card or payment card data had been compromised," explained Europol.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If a site doesn't allow a PayPal payment I won't buy there ,some use gift cards but ahhh never your credit card,even using a debit card for gas or store has gotten me hacked 3 x lucky got money back
PayPal is one good method. I use a dedicated debit card that I recharge with small amounts for purchases which is otherwise unlinked to savings or my real regular checking.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
PayPal is one good method. I use a dedicated debit card that I recharge with small amounts for purchases which is otherwise unlinked to savings or my real regular checking.
How do you get such a card and is it replaced after using, or just designed to put just enough for a purchase then only recharge when you decide to buy something again? Also are you able to transfer funds on it online or manually at bank? Sounds good just never had it explained ,if your too busy don't feel obligated to answer .Thank you

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
How do you get such a card and is it replaced after using, or just designed to put just enough for a purchase then only recharge when you decide to buy something again? Also are you able to transfer funds on it online or manually at bank? Sounds good just never had it explained ,if your too busy don't feel obligated to answer .Thank you
Nothing special. It's simply a regular checking account debit card at a credit union where we had taken out a car loan. The account is only used by me for online purchases and I add money to regularly only what I might normally spend during the month, or deposit more if needed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.