1st Time Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshendee

Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2013
Hello - I'm here because for the first time in 20 yrs of owning computers, my Windows 8/64-bit PC has been infected w/a trojan. Stinger detects it but fails to repair it. Yesterday its name was zeroaccess.fb(something...) and today it is zeroaccess!cfg. I just ran OTL and instructions say to post OTL and Extras logs. I'm doing that now and will go to step 2. [/size]Thanks in advance for your guidance. - Lynne

Attachments

• Extras.Txt
    58.6 KB · Views: 398
  • OTL.Txt
    110.7 KB · Views: 416

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Welcome, I see you have already made a post in the Malware Assistance forum, someone will get back with you shortly.

In the mean time trying booting your system into Windows Safe Mode with Networking, download a fresh copy of McAfee Stinger and do a full scan.

Stinger can work wonders running in Windows Safe Mode.

Thanks. :D

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Also, Trojan Hunter is a great piece of software. But this is a paid software! Hope this help!

lshendee

Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2013
Ran Stinger in safe mode - 1 hour, 507710 files, 0 threats. But I can tell the trojan is still on my PC. Anxiously awaiting more guidance. Thank you!

lshendee

Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2013
Many thanks for the tip. Did the stinger scan in safe mode. Results say no threats. The trojan is still on there though, i.e. McAfee security center keeps turning off, etc. (sigh)

Littlebits said:
Welcome, I see you have already made a post in the Malware Assistance forum, someone will get back with you shortly.

In the mean time trying booting your system into Windows Safe Mode with Networking, download a fresh copy of McAfee Stinger and do a full scan.

Stinger can work wonders running in Windows Safe Mode.

Thanks. :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You will have to wait for one of our malware helpers to reply to your post- http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Zeroaccess-cfg-unrepairable

Meanwhile I suggest you run a repair of your McAfee Virus Scan and Security Ctr installations.

McAfee offers free support to their customers here- http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Enjoy!! :D

lshendee

Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2013
Moose said:
Also, Trojan Hunter is a great piece of software. But this is a paid software! Hope this help!

Thanks for the advice, Moose - I appreciate your time. Will attempt to remove first with the help of one of MT's experts. Wish me luck!

ad18

Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Malwarebytes might help you if the other products don't work. To prevent infections in the future you should try Sandboxie and always run your browser sandboxed. I have the same operating system as you and I have never gotten infected while using Sandboxie. Good luck with removing the malware.

lshendee

Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2013
Thank you ad18, I'll check sandboxie out. ~Lynne

ad18 said:
Malwarebytes might help you if the other products don't work. To prevent infections in the future you should try Sandboxie and always run your browser sandboxed. I have the same operating system as you and I have never gotten infected while using Sandboxie. Good luck with removing the malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.