XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Guarded apps can be called that they're in a "grey" area. They are allowed to execute, but aren't allowed to do certain things. :)

I think that given the stance of BRN when it comes to AppGuard's way of protection, the best way for some to be sure of how clean an unknown file is is to have an accompanied AV/AM and/or on-demand scanners along with AppGuard. It's better done that way, than executing it without knowing its status beforehand.

Thread author
Thanks for the clear answer. I understand your point and wish Blue Ridge team the best.
Maybe in the future, you will consider to create something like SmartGuard ? :)

Maintaining a file reputation database is a huge expense and effort. We will leave that to the signature-detection companies.

We could integrate a means for the user to utilize one of the freeware file uploaders - like Jotti, Winja or VT Uploader - but it's not part of AppGuard's protection model. Besides, there are enough false negatives that will result in an infection - so it is just plain pointless. There are other means to safety rate files - such as artificial intelligence or behavioral analysis - but those methods have inherent problems. They are assisstive technology in that they fulfill a need for those that want a software to tell them that a file is safe or unsafe.

If a file has not been vetted by the user, then it should be blocked. Inspecting and testing a file is not the great difficult task that some people will make it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
Guarded apps can be called that they're in a "grey" area. They are allowed to execute, but aren't allowed to do certain things. :)

I think that given the stance of BRN when it comes to AppGuard's way of protection, the best way for some to be sure of how clean an unknown file is is to have an accompanied AV/AM and/or on-demand scanners along with AppGuard. It's better done that way, than executing it without knowing its status beforehand.

For a layered defense, we do recommend an antivirus be employed as well as all built-in Windows protections.

So, with Windows, the user has Windows Defender, SmartScreen, UAC, Standard User Account, WIndows Backup, etc.

If the user wishes to use a 3rd party security or related soft, then they have many options to choose from what is available on the market.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Maintaining a file reputation database is a huge expense and effort. We will leave that to the signature-detection companies.

We could integrate a means for the user to utilize one of the freeware file uploaders - like Jotti, Winja or VT Uploader - but it's not part of AppGuard's protection model. Besides, there are enough false negatives that will result in an infection.

If a file has not been vetted by the user, then it should be blocked.

Thanks. I have been thought about exploiting Windows 8+ built-in Smartscreen App Reputation on Run, so all the database maintenance will do Microsoft for you. I can assure you that it has less false positives than Virus Total.
All that should be done is to add 'Mark of the Web' to executable file and let SmartScreen do the rest. Adding 'Mark of the Web' is simple (could be coded in AutoIt in one hour).
Please think about it, and home users will love you.:)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
For application popularity it will be good to make restricted demo version, for example:
1. Built in system-space = UAC protected folders (user cannot change this).
2. AppGuard can block/protect limited number of files/folders in the user-space.
3. The rest of user-space is covered by forced Windows Smartscreen App on the Run.

Thread author
For application popularity it will be good to make restricted demo version, for example:
1. Built in system-space = UAC protected folders (user cannot change this).
2. AppGuard can block/protect limited number of files/folders in the user-space.
3. The rest of user-space is covered by forced Windows Smartscreen App on the Run.

There will be never be limited feature freeware version of AppGuard. The expense and resources to support a freeware version is simply too great - and the sales generated from freeware versions is very small. There are pros and cons to freeware versions, but in general it is just isn't optimum for either the user nor the vendor.

In today's marketplace, freeware versions are not a viable option except for the largest publishers. Once you reach a critical mass of freeware users, then the economics are bad and places too much of a strain on support resources. Lots of small and medium sized publishers are phasing-out limited feature freeware versions of their products altogether.

BRN offers the 30-day trial. Within that time period most users can decide whether or not they want to purchase the product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
BRN is comprised of a small, dedicated and capable team.

We stick to a formula and protection model that has proven over the long-run to provide high system protections.

Hence the repeated awards as shown in the thread start post.

Thread author
ask:
Why there is no 30 day trial?
Why is there no other language?

I have to make a revision on my reply to this post. There have been some changes of which I was unaware.

There is a 14-day trial. You have to enter your credit card details. If at the end of the 14-day trial, then you have to cancel.

AppGuard does support Unicode, but the only language is English.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Lol this trials that need a credit card are ridiculous and with Appguard it makes no sense because it's a local security solution and has no cost at the company to give away trial.
What are the reasoning behind the credit card required? People to forget to cancel and get billed?

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I bitterly smile about this stuff! Someone from AG can give me a logical reason to have my credit card details for a trial version?
I am happy not to test AG trial because I'll never give these details and I guess that no other vendors have a similar behavior!

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
If there' a reminder before the trial period ends, then that might be acceptable enough for me. Nevertheless, I too am uncomfortable with how BRN wants with AppGuard licensing. For me, it's dirty business.

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
For trials I have never heard that before but for promos I remember Norton required credit card details for obtaining a promo key. It was a trick there as you had to untick the automatic renewal. Maybe BRN assume that who wants to try it, will love it and buy it after that so it will be easy to continue using it. :)

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
:eek:BRN should change that and bring back the old policy, definitely sure that there was a trial option there before... anyway think I found some bug better revert back to a previous image and test it again.

Last edited:

Thread author
No matter what BRN implements regarding the trial, someone is not going to be happy.

The 30-day trial will no longer be offered. There was a lot of abuse of the 30-day trial.

In reaction, there are those that wanted to provide no trial whatsoever. Others wanted a trial with limited functionality. In the end, a 14-day trial was decided to be the optimal choice for everyone involved.

The cost associated with a 30-day trial is not in providing it, but instead providing support. If BRN stated that the trial comes with no support, then there would be those that find it unacceptable. If BRN would charge a separate support fee, then just about everyone would find that unacceptable.

The rationale for requiring the entering of credit card details is that only those people that are seriously interested in evaluating and potentially purchasing the product will proceed to register and download the trial.

Instead of requiring a person to purchase AppGuard and then - if dissatisfied - request a refund, it was thought that it would be more optimal for the user to cancel the purchase themselves.

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.