Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
At the start of 2016, Microsoft's Internet Explorer was still the most commonly used browser on the Web; it finished 2015 being used by about 46 percent of Web users, with 32 percent preferring Chrome, and 12 percent using Firefox. But Explorer's days have been numbered ever since Microsoft essentially ended its development. While the venerable browser is still supported and still gets security updates, its features and standard support have been frozen since 2015. Instead, Microsoft shifted active development to Edge, its new browser. While Edge is faster, more secure, and boasts much better support for Web standards, it's only available for Windows 10, which greatly limits its audience.

(All figures taken from Net Market Share unless otherwise noted.)

The landscape looked very different at the end of 2016. Chrome surged to command 56 percent of the market, while Internet Explorer plummeted to just under 21 percent. Edge isn't being completely ignored by Web users—it started the year on 2.8 percent and finished on 5.3 percent—but it seems to be underperforming its predecessor. At the start of 2016, Windows 10 was used by 10 percent of Web users. By the end of 2016, this figure reached 24 percent—a solid performance for a new Microsoft operating system that was no doubt buoyed by the free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. Among gamers, Edge is performing better: according to the Steam hardware survey, Windows 10 just passed 50 percent of Steam users at the end of the year. That growth came at the expense of older Windows versions; Windows 7 dropped from 56 to 48 percent, Windows XP from 11 to 9 percent, and Windows 8.1 from 10 to 7 percent.

These numbers mean that only 22 percent of Windows 10 users are opting for Edge. Assuming that Internet Explorer users are mostly on older versions of Windows (technically, Windows 10 users could use Internet Explorer too, though it's strongly discouraged and likely to be rare), 32 percent of pre-Windows 10 users are sticking with Internet Explorer. This suggests that either Windows 10 users don't regard Edge as a suitable replacement for Internet Explorer or that early adopters are less interested in the operating system's default browser.

Read more: 2016 sees Internet Explorer usage collapse, Chrome surge

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Now that I have LastPass on Edge I have found myself
using it a lot more. It's not a bad lil browser.
I have totally uninstalled IE though ;)
Thanks Jack :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Now that I have LastPass on Edge I have found myself
using it a lot more. It's not a bad lil browser.
I have totally uninstalled IE though ;)
Thanks Jack :)
Yet Edge's stability is questionable, inspite of articles boasting of it. It has slight glitches and UX issues not fixed since long.
On the other hand, the army of useful extensions in Chrome (except that I miss DownThemAll addon of FF) keeps me glued to it - safety, functions and support :D

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Chrome is king. Best security model of any browser. Exploits and bugs are patched quickly. Nice list of extensions.

I have disabled IE from my PC. I don't want to deal with the security vulnerabilities. And I don't use Edge.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I see these in order of most vulnerable (based on history and market-share) IE > Edge > Chrome > Firefox

Some will disagree with Chrome - but it's got the market-share, and their are more vulns every few months patched. No browser is perfect.

I am just glad Mozilla is dumping support for XP. That is a liability I wouldn't want. Windows Vista's EOL is this year too. I would imagine that they have discontinued support for it since it occupies around 3-5% of the market.

This opens up opportunities to use and develop a more secure, 'sandboxed' and feature rich browser. Legacy technology holds you back.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Haha it seems we are many that completely avoid IE.I dont have so much experience with Edge.I also use Chrome to everything.I have also startet to use LastPass.Its da bomb.

Reactions: Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Haha it seems we are many that completely avoid IE.I dont have so much experience with Edge.I also use Chrome to everything.I have also startet to use LastPass.Its da bomb.
It's obvious that out of the millions of Internet users, many of them (mainly novices) do not have a good idea about 3rd party browsers and seemed to be OK with the inbuilt IE, until they find out about Chrome, FF. Time's changing!

I liked LastPass but I switched to INTEL TrueKey that has a deep integration with Microsoft account (Hello, additional login option) and Android and I like it up till now.

Reactions: Nevi
K

KGBagent47

For some mind numbing reason Edge still doesn't support extensions in private browsing. Besides that Chrome has just become the standard of a highly functional web browser. Firefox remains a worth while browser due to their support of special add-ons and the fact they don't by default allow any flash videos is attractive to me.

However for me personally Smartscreen filter in Edge or IE does remain an attractive option for the security minded browser.

Reactions: Parsh

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
People still rely on customization, flexibility, reliability and speed.

So in short Chrome handled it all day long.

Microsoft Edge/IE does lead in security matters and unfortunately that is not the customer's priority at all. That's why the reflection of browser usage is shown clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.