Real-time security
Norton Security Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome (latest stable, x64), uBlock Origin, Norton Safe Search, Norton Safe Web, Norton Identity Safe
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner
File and Photo backup
Norton Backup + manual data backup to external HDD
System recovery
built-in Windows tools

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Office suite: Microsoft Office Professional 2016
PDF reader: Edge
Compression tools: WinRAR (licensed)
File manager: Windows Explorer
IM: Skype
Cloud services: OneDrive, Google Drive, STACK
VPN: PureVPN

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@pablozi: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser as extra on demand scanners would be interesting :)

Also probably to use one of the already mentioned free image backup solutions, I'm not so much confident about own integrated in Windows 10, but just my humble opinion :)

Apart from that, secure config, thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: Syafiq and JM Safe

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Removed: Firefox (not using it), Adguard and Kerish Doctor
Added: uBlock Origin, Heimdal Pro

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Removed: VoodooShield, Heimdal, Winja
Added: Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Bitdefender TrafficLight

I have also posted all tweaks I've made using Group Policy Editor.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
why adding BD trafficlight :confused:
it scored almost 0 in all of my malware tests, same for this 2.0 version
it's only effective against phishing, but phishing is not really a problem for users like us. Other extensions like netcraft or avast can do better against phishing

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
why adding BD trafficlight :confused:
it scored almost 0 in all of my malware tests, same for this 2.0 version
it's only effective against phishing, but phishing is not really a problem for users like us. Other extensions like netcraft or avast can do better against phishing
I installed BDTL only to check what changed since last time I used it.
If it will not add any value to my setup it will be removed straight away ;)

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Removed: Bitdefender TrafficLight - not needed, EEK - not needed, definitions update takes ages

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
except WD is nowhere near light.
Says the one using G-Data. Fun by the side:

"the terrorizing moment when my VM was almost killed by Win Defender doing its thing while installing new AVs to make snapshots. on an SSD.." (your status)

Antivirus software is not bad when it runs like ##### in a VM. If Defender crashes your VM, it's up to your computer. Sure. If I run Windows Defender on a potato, it crashes too. If only you and someone else get such a result, I honestly don't know.

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

"the terrorizing moment when my VM was almost killed by Win Defender doing its thing while installing new AVs to make snapshots. on an SSD.." (your status)

Antivirus software is not bad when it runs like ##### in a VM. If Defender crashes your VM, it's up to your computer. Sure. If I run Windows Defender on a potato, it crashes too. If only you and someone else get such a result, I honestly don't know.
runnin a VM on 8 cores (out of 16) and 4 GB of RAM from an SSD. having 60% CPU usage and 80% drive usage while running a single exe.
maybe you should stop making assumptions and ask for details. I'm not the only one having the same experience, as you could see from the comment under my status you wished to post to make me look like a fool.
and i'm not going to get into an argument again over pointless things, so this is my last response to you.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

he was right and that's his opinion. He can express his experience and you can't deny that. I have the exact same experience with WD just like him and so do many other users
I ran WD on my real PC and on a VM. Both were cleanly installed and left running for a few days for stability. It performed terribly. WD caused significant slowdown and extremely high disk usage
I don't have any PC with SSD so any impact I can notice easily
as soon as I install any random different AV and disable WD, the PC stops screaming. That's fact

if you want to disagree, find a different way

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
@mekelek
4c/8t amd ryzen, 5400rpm hdd(throw away hard disk), without virtualization: no lags and average waiting times you expect from such a hard disk.
I wrote that you and someone else had a problem like that. Where was I wrong?
Just because Windows happens to randomly update or make another error, you blame the Defender. It is perfectly normal that an antivirus does not speed up your PC. But it's not normal for Defender to penetrate your hard drive all the time, and that's the point. Then you make something wrong.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Guys, let's be in peace, also please show disagree in Your comments with kindly words ;)

I have been also getting slow downs with WD usually accessing to folders with many files and/or accessing to external devices in many systems from my costumers, this is an aspect that should be fixed by Microsoft...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.