Advice Request 2018: What are the Major differences between AVG Free and Avast Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65228

There will be more available in Avast Free as as far as I am aware, I believe the difference is in the protection components. Avast incorporated some of the code-base from AVG after they acquired the company into Avast software regarding static and dynamic but I doubt the products are identical in terms of what is available now. I'd imagine they acquired AVG to give "Avast" branded software a boost, and kept the AVG company up and running to generate more income from all the existing AVG customers.

This is speculation though, I can't say for sure.

Flak

Level 1
Verified
Oct 19, 2013
Despite the hardened mode difference. I still (last tested 4/12/2018) get consistently better ransomware protection results with AVG over Avast. AVG's BB in their Identity Protection module was pretty solid. Maybe Avast hasn't implemented it in Avast yet? Not sure what else would explain that particular difference.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Despite the hardened mode difference. I still (last tested 4/12/2018) get consistently better ransomware protection results with AVG over Avast. AVG's BB in their Identity Protection module was pretty solid. Maybe Avast hasn't implemented it in Avast yet? Not sure what else would explain that particular difference.
I'm pretty sure Avast got their BB from AVG IDP is it?

Reactions: Al-Faqir

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
both have disgusting client approach but technically avast has hardened mode

Reactions: ZeroDay

Flak

Level 1
Verified
Oct 19, 2013
I'm pretty sure Avast got their BB from AVG IDP is it?

I don't know what else would explain the difference? In the end, you can't really go wrong with either product, with the main "visible" difference being Avast has Hardened Mode.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
They are identical except:
- AVG has no yearly subscription system -> better for users when the license expires. I saw some with avast and an expired license -> unprotected
- Avast has Hardened mode while AVG does't have
- The behavior shield = Software analyzer are identical but it's not consistent even tested within the same products. We can test avast or AVG in different time but you can get different results => AVG sometimes came out better but it's not true

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.