2024's Android flagships could get expensive due to Snapdragon's price hike

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
According to recent leaks, the upcoming Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chipset from Qualcomm reportedly carries a high price tag, with some Android smartphone manufacturers looking at alternative options for 2024 devices.

A reliable leaker, Digital Chat Station, claimed on Weibo that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 price increase could lead brands to utilize 2022's Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 in next year's phones. Alternatively, some major OEMs could look to rival MediaTek and its newly announced Dimensity 9300 chip.

The cost of the Snapdragon 8G3 seems to be a bit high, and some manufacturers are ready to use the sub-flagship Snapdragon 8G2 or Dimensity platform in the standard version to reduce costs and increase efficiency.

The Dimensity 9300 is expected to debut in October and could provide comparable performance to the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3, making it an attractive option if the price is lower. Early leaks suggest the Dimensity 9300 will use four Cortex-X4 and four Cortex-A720 cores with MediaTek's latest GPU and support up to 9.6Gbps LPDDR5T RAM.

The rest

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
The rest
Oh great they are just preparing us for a $2k phone to be the norm. It started with the flip screen phone breaking the $2k barrier. It was a price test case to see what consumers can stomach as an acceptable price and it passed. The same way iPhone X broke the $1k barrier and after that many other phones came out for $1k+ and now getting a near top of the line phone means going above $1k+.

Thank goodness that I keep my phones until I can't charge them anymore.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.