I can't find anything about it a .lnk is a shortcut I think

MFhWENx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Yes, its a shortcut... not sure if is a false positive or not?

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I think it may have come from an HP update. Other than that I have no idea. Can you see my avatar? Just curious as I added it today.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I think it may have come from an HP update. Other than that I have no idea. Can you see my avatar? Just curious as I added it today.
I see your avatar #toomuchanime

HP doesn't release RATs false positive right there.

GetOnline means get internet connection if you don't already got. (if this is from hp then thats what it means)

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Just mark another false positive to Qihoo 360 TS, why in the world would it detect a shortcut link?, there is no way it can be infected since it will just open your browser to a website, if the website however is infected that should be detected but not the shortcut.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: Malware1

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
What should I do Littlebits? Should I go back to 360 IS for now,,??

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Just mark another false positive to Qihoo 360 TS, why in the world would it detect a shortcut link?, there is no way it can be infected since it will just open your browser to a website, if the website however is infected that should be detected but not the shortcut.

Normally viruses are in .exe format, but I agree with it if it detected the site through the .lnk though.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What should I do Littlebits? Should I go back to 360 IS for now,,??
That is up for you to decide, if the false positive detections is too much for you I recommend using a AV with a single AV engine (Avast Free, Avira Free, MSE or Windows Defender, Panda Cloud Free, AVG Free, etc.).
Multiple AV engines will always have high false positive detections. If you always download files from trusted sources and utilize UAC prompts (never approve anything unless you know it is safe) one AV engine will be all you will need.

If the false positives are not a problem for you and you know how to tell the difference between real malware then there is no reason for you to change unless you have other problems as well like system performance issue, bugs related to the product, etc.

Most users do not know how to tell the difference between false positives and real malware because they get completely puzzled when their product detects a file. Most users will assume that they are infected.

Reactions: Malware1

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I think I will stay with 360 TS for now. 360 TS does have a restore function in quarantine. Thank goodness they put that there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.