Advice Request 3rd Party or Windows Defender?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

For a day to day user - Defender or 3rd Party AV

• Windows Defender + Smartscreen is enough alongside some common sense

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • 3rd Party AV should still be a must (they're just better at it)

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

so, WD 4.9 is out with the anniversary update, I can read on big improvements, but for a day to day user, which means: an occasional torrent for a movie or two, but otherwise no illegal downloading, browsing and editing, do you think one should still get third party protection, or is Windows Defender enough in combination with Smartscreen?

Thanks!

Reactions: shukla44
L

LabZero

Let me explain that we do not tolerate any form of illegality.
Download one or two or a hundred movies from torrent is illegal.
That said, torrent sites often host malicious malversting that can redirect you to other malware and in this case no AV will be able to defend you at 100%..
The protection's quality is not just related to the used tool, but especially to the behavior of the user.
As I often say: if you make a chain with a ring of steel and one of paper, the resistance of the chain will be equal to the ring of paper.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Common sense does not help if you get hit by a exploit from a hacked otherwise trusted homepage.
What is the first Antimalware solution you would make sure your malware would stay clear of if you create one?
Windows Defender of course, then all the bigger brands, just to generate a larger impact.
I have seen Norton disabled, and get uninstalled by malware in front of my eyes, just leaving the icon in the taskbar to fool you it is still there...

/W

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Common sense does not help if you get hit by a exploit from a hacked otherwise trusted homepage.
What is the first Antimalware solution you would make sure your malware would stay clear of if you create one?
Windows Defender of course, then all the bigger brands, just to generate a larger impact.
I have seen Norton disabled, and get uninstalled by malware in front of my eyes, just leaving the icon in the taskbar to fool you it is still there...

/W
it is rare for chrome or firefox running on a modern system to be exploited, especially if you disable flash.

Reactions: Parsh

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
WD + SmartScreen should be enough but maybe add a free scan tool such as Zemana Antimalware or Emsisoft Emergency Kit or something like that for a bit of a safeguard. ;)

Reactions: Dirk41 and shmu26

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
virtualization is key. Keep the suspicious stuff off from your system files, use shadow defender or sandboxie. Finish your activities and wipe the system changes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just tried Windows defender with PUP protection and high CPU usage tweak However, it still caused high CPU, disk and memory usage in idle -> disabled
it felt much slower than kaspersky IS 2017

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you are not satisfied by Windows Defender, then switch vendors. Free antivirus are equivalent to Paid antivirus.

Reactions: Dirk41

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I really are very confused. I think have 2 types of security programs: First one: Basic ones like Microsoft defender or Norton or Bitdefender, Panda. Complex ones like avast and comodo
MS defender have
Signature protección
Cloud based protection
firewall (Windows embebed)
HIPS: UAC
Avast or comodo have same but have
Virtual browser (Avast safe sone)
Virtual enviroment.
I dont think MS security products are bad. I think if you catch something bad "the god of antiviruses can not save you" I am thinking to move to avast because lime me much,but for me "Windows defender" are good as Norton or another leader makets

Reactions: Neno
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Defender (PUP enabled), Smartscreen, and UAC (Always Notify) is more than enough for daily protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.