Guide | How To 5 tips on avoiding malware infections

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Malware, it's getting more advanced and just using a traditional antivirus product won't prevent future infections on your computer, which is why I'm going to write a guide on several methods you can use to avoid malware infections for free. Just keep in mind that your computer will never be 100% secure and that without the proper knowledge, you won't stay infection-free for very long.

1) Using antivirus software is important, if you're unsure of which one to get, here are a few free products I recommend and used (or still use).
  • Avast! Free Antivirus 6 - A free and very capable antivirus product, Avast! is currently my favorite free security product right now (as far as antivirus goes).
  • Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft's own free security product, also very capable and simple.
  • Avira AntiVir - Although it's been criticized for the ads included, Avira is all and all a very popular and good antivirus engine, I used it many times in the past.

2) Make sure to keep your antivirus software up-to-date with the latest database updates (this can be done by enabling automatic updates, which most antivirus products include).

3) Use a firewall as well, the standard Windows Firewall built-in to Windows won't do, so I recommend using a 3rd-party firewall such as: Comodo FIrewall, Online Armor, PC Tools Firewall Plus or ZoneAlarm Firewall.

4) To be safe while browsing the interwebs, here are some tips I came up with:
  • Install Web of Trust (browser extension for Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera).
  • Install AdBlock Plus (not really security-related, but it's still a useful tool for blocking ads).
  • Avoid fishy looking sites, free smiley packs, toolbars, making money online; all are usually fake.
  • Keeping the browser up-to-date is important too most of the time (especially with IE).
  • Consider not using Internet Explorer (IE), it's a very mediocre and insecure browser in my eyes.
5) Make sure to keep Windows up-to-date with the latest security patches from Microsoft, a guide on how to set-up automatic updates can be found here.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Other possible tips.
  • Check your downloads on http://www.virustotal.com/
    VirusTotal is a service developed by Hispasec Sistemas that analyzes suspicious files and URLs enabling the identification of viruses, worms, trojans and other kinds of malicious content detected by antivirus engines and web analysis toolbars.
  • Install and use on-demand scanners.Scan regularly your pc and every download. Recommended on-demand scanners:
  • Use a virtualization program , like Sandboxie for your IM and Web browser.
  • And the most important tip : NEVER use/download warez.

You can also find other tips here.

Reactions: viktik

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks Jack, I know you had another tutorial already, but I though I'd post my version anyway :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
endejan said:
Thanks Jack, I know you had another tutorial already, but I though I'd post my version anyway :)

Any tutorial is welcomed :D ! Thank you for the great tips!+Rep!

I

illumination

endejan said:
Malware, it's getting more advanced and just using a traditional antivirus product won't prevent future infections on your computer, which is why I'm going to write a guide on several methods you can use to avoid malware infections for free. Just keep in mind that your computer will never be 100% secure and that without the proper knowledge, you won't stay infection-free for very long.

1) Using antivirus software is important, if you're unsure of which one to get, here are a few free products I recommend and used (or still use).
  • Avast! Free Antivirus 6 - A free and very capable antivirus product, Avast! is currently my favorite free security product right now (as far as antivirus goes).
  • Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft's own free security product, also very capable and simple.
  • Avira AntiVir - Although it's been criticized for the ads included, Avira is all and all a very popular and good antivirus engine, I used it many times in the past.

2) Make sure to keep your antivirus software up-to-date with the latest database updates (this can be done by enabling automatic updates, which most antivirus products include).

3) Use a firewall as well, the standard Windows Firewall built-in to Windows won't do, so I recommend using a 3rd-party firewall such as: Comodo FIrewall, Online Armor, PC Tools Firewall Plus or ZoneAlarm Firewall.

4) To be safe while browsing the interwebs, here are some tips I came up with:
  • Install Web of Trust (browser extension for Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera).
  • Install AdBlock Plus (not really security-related, but it's still a useful tool for blocking ads).
  • Avoid fishy looking sites, free smiley packs, toolbars, making money online; all are usually fake.
  • Keeping the browser up-to-date is important too most of the time (especially with IE).
  • Consider not using Internet Explorer (IE), it's a very mediocre and insecure browser in my eyes.
5) Make sure to keep Windows up-to-date with the latest security patches from Microsoft, a guide on how to set-up automatic updates can be found here.

Nice tutorial... This pretty much covers the basics, and with the addition of Jacks post, one would be well covered!

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Add one more thing :
DO backup daily :
Yeah,most of people are too lazy to backup and lose their files once they do a silly mistake = Get infected -- With bootkit,rootkit,trojan,Ransomewar etc. You'll never know when your PC will crash from any reason what-so-ever,like windows update, compatibility issue,or most common : Infection (infected by Malware)
Thank you

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Is it me or is TwinHeadedEagle a lot busier with infected computers? It seems a lot of people are not reading the posts on common sense and clicking on anything. I don't care what anti virus software you are running, or how many layers of security you have if you don't use common sense and watch the clicking you will be infected. So lets keep that in mind.

j9ksf

Level 1
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
I use PeStudio841 to check files before I download and Shadow Defender if I am uncertain about new programs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.