Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Why expats are ditching their U.S. passports
3,000 Americans around the world renounced their citizenship last year. Meet five U.S. citizens who have given up their passports -- or are thinking about it -- to escape an overly complicated tax code.
Full story: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/expats-ditching-u-s--passports-151127757.html
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/expats-ditching-u-s--passports-151127757.html

By Sophia Yan

'Invasion of privacy'

f3ac4530-a92e-11e3-8636-9fa2f5408eee_christina.jpg

Christina Ammann
Name: Christina Ammann, 56
Lives in: Belp, Switzerland

When you're an American -- and I've always been patriotic -- it's extremely troubling to think about giving up your citizenship. But it's an option I am considering due to the invasive reach of the IRS and the U.S. government into my personal life.

I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, and went to college in California. After I graduated, I entered the Peace Corps, stationed in Costa Rica. That's where I met my husband, who is Swiss. I moved to Switzerland to be with him in 1984, and received Swiss citizenship when we married.

The fact that I have signatory rights on my Swiss husband's financial accounts means that I must report them to the U.S. government, which I find quite unfair. I have no problem paying taxes -- I have problems with reporting my non-American husband's assets. It's an invasion of privacy. I've always filed my taxes with the help of my brother, who is an accountant, but neither of us knew I had to report those accounts until my bank here sent me a letter about it.

We also didn't realize until recently that my daughter, who has U.S. citizenship through me, was required to file taxes after she turned 18 three years ago. I didn't think she had to, because her wages from a part-time job as a university student are very low.

I'm now working with a lawyer to sort this out. I think it will cost me in the range of $10,000 when it's all done, which hurts.

My conclusion is that new disclosure laws have caused an enormous amount of grief for an overwhelming majority of expats, just to get a few bad apples. They may be hiding millions, but the target persons are a small percentage of the millions of Americans abroad.

A burden for my son

f3b063e0-a92e-11e3-ac76-8d4e65f6615e_richard.jpg

Richard Sikes
Name: Richard Sikes, 65
Lives in: Toronto, Canada

When I first moved to Europe in 1973, I didn't pay attention to my U.S. taxes for a few years. I am a native Oregonian who became something of a gypsy, living all over the continent -- Ireland, England, Switzerland and Germany. I hardly earned anything at the time as a ballet dancer, so I figured I probably didn't owe taxes.

After a while, I started to make a bit more. I went straight to a U.S. consulate in Germany and filed about eight years of tax returns all at once. Even then, I don't recall owing any taxes. That put me in compliance, and since then, I've always filed my returns.

When my older son, now 21, was born in Germany, I applied for U.S. citizenship for him immediately, because I thought I might eventually return. As things worked out, I ended up in Canada -- my wife's country and where I found a job in the IT industry. My oldest son and I now both have Canadian citizenship as well.

What I'm worried about these days is whether to apply for U.S. citizenship for my younger son, who is 16. He was born in Canada, and currently holds Canadian citizenship. He has the right to be an American citizen through me, and I wouldn't want to deny him that.

But do I want to impose a lifetime of paying to have U.S. tax returns prepared upon him? There are benefits -- having a U.S. passport would make it easier for him to study and work in the U.S., if that's what he wants. But at his age, he doesn't know yet what career direction he wants to follow.

As for myself, I have considered renouncing my U.S. citizenship -- my Canadian wife feels it is incredibly invasive that we are required to report our joint assets. But even after 40 years as an expat, I've kept my citizenship, because I still cherish the privilege of voting in national elections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus
I

illumination

Im sorry, but if i was these people, and had moved to another country and settled in "especially as long as they have" i would not be paying taxes to another country. I would indeed renounce my citizenship.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*Laughing*:p
illumination, while reading your post aloud with my wife she said: "It was their choice to live outside the U.S., they're just complaining because they don't want to pay taxes. ...bunch of whiners!". (me) Lol!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i'm a American and have always heard that if you giveup your U.S. citizenship you can not get it back
and if you come back to the U.S. you are treated as a alien/Immigrant non-native citizen

:)

James

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
i'm a American and have always heard that if you give up your U.S. citizenship you can not get it back
and if you come back to the U.S. you are treated as a alien/Immigrant non-native citizen

James

James, I've wondered about this too and am still finding how those choices made long ago continue to echo through time.
I'm an American thanks to a family of non-native immigrant workers who were able to create a life, even in a time of depression era hardships, and the scions of those lives continue both here & upon the land beyond the edges of a great Ocean far away.

~Cats:)

I believe that's the case Jim. If you are a US citizen and have renounced your citizenship, to get it back you would have to go through the regular process (being a resident for five years and applying to become a citizen afterward). It should be a smooth process, that is of course, if you are not a terrorist who all of the sudden has become a born again Christian or a traitor like the guy in Russia.

I like to point out that when I had to deal with INS people, they for the most part were very nice and even bended over backward to help me out in the 80s when the country were I was born was being run by communist terrorist and for me to become a legal resident, by the book, I would have had to go back there and come back to the US.

The communist were my enemies so can you imagine, me going back over there. I would have been killed or thrown in jail for twenty years. They allowed my process to go through with no hassle.

Bo

It's nice to hear our U.S. government does a lot of good too.:) Bo, I am so glad you did not have to go back at a pivotal & dangerous time. It's good to know you have friends here.:cool:

Icekingus

Level 1
Aug 7, 2012
@bo.elam
a traitor like the guy in Russia.
Why a trator? Because he has disclosed all the hypocrisy of the American regime which makes even Big Brother look like an incompetent fool? Because he has made public the true nature of American authorities spying not only on their own citizens but on EU allies as well?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You live in a wonderful country, Cats. If I take a piece of paper and draw a Franklin T, with the positives in one side and the negatives on the other, the pluses for The United States are way way ahead.

Bo

Thank you, Bo!:) Your words reminded me of what my father said to me when (as a small boy) I'd asked him about his leaving the country he knew & all his family behind in order to come to the U.S., live, and work. I'd asked what was the difference between two countries, and his reply was one that was meant to help a little boy understand,
"Both countries are GOOD, but the difference is America is Free.".
Perhaps those of us born Americans need more experience and exposure to what it is/was like in other beautiful countries & places when not very beautiful things happen abroad which in turn could help us all understand, appreciate, and feel greater empathy, in a more open spirit of being member citizens of part of a greater world where we would not have to give up that part of ourselves which is far more precious than our passport status.:rolleyes:
@bo.elam

Why a trator? Because he has disclosed all the hypocrisy of the American regime which makes even Big Brother look like an incompetent fool? Because he has made public the true nature of American authorities spying not only on their own citizens but on EU allies as well?
Icekingus, that 'hypocrisy' you mentioned is always something far more sore & painful to bear than cats' claws (you know what I mean) because it's like being the children who are stuck trying to come to terms with their o_Oparents' crimes.;)
... If you are a US citizen and have renounced your citizenship, to get it back you would have to go through the regular process (being a resident for five years and applying to become a citizen afterward). It should be a smooth process, that is of course, if you are not a terrorist who all of the sudden has become a born again Christian or a traitor like the guy in Russia.

Bo
..and we are also to be careful 'NOT to be terrorists' whom become 'born again Christians' too!:D
I thought that was funny.:p

Reactions: Ramblin

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
trying to keep this thread out of a political debate b4 it gets locked ;)

i think this Snowden guy is not just a traitor but a salesman trying to sell himself he thinks
what he has will get him rich and that seems to not be working very good for him lol it's all
about money

i have a good friend that came from Cambodia in the early 80's and had to escape from his own country
he says when he was trying to get out he had to sneek past checkpoints and the soldiers would shoot
and throw hand grenades at him but he got out

the first few years he was here in America everytime he would hear a airplane or a helicopter he would
jump on the ground or try to hide

now he is a U.S. citizen and is very proud to be one he works very hard and can cook some very good food :p

James

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Getting back to the Tax thing and maintaining US Citizenship- I am a US citizen working abroad. Just 2 weeks ago I had to file my taxes and was appalled to see between Federal and State Tax as well as Social Security withholding I only netted 58% of all income!!!

I spoke with my Father shortly after that and was whining about the horror of paying so much. My rant didn't last very long as he pointed out to me that the only reason I was having that much taken out was that I have a high income; and the only reason I have such an income was that I went to a Private High School (American) that got me into Dartmouth (American) that got me hired at Mandiant (American), which was bought by FireEye (American), into which my stock was converted (American) and has since tripled (USD). He finished up with the words of the immortal bard: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

My Father can be such a drag sometimes.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
...was appalled to see between Federal and State Tax as well as Social Security withholding I only netted 58% of all income!!!

I spoke with my Father shortly after that and was whining about the horror of paying so much. My rant didn't last very long as he pointed out to me that the only reason I was having that much taken out was that I have a high income...
He finished up with the words of the immortal bard: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

My Father can be such a drag sometimes.

*Laughing* ...@such brilliance!:D Thanks, cruelsister.

...a good friend that came from Cambodia in the early 80's and had ...to sneek past checkpoints and the soldiers would shoot and throw hand grenades at him but he got out.

The first few years he was here in America everytime he would hear a airplane or a helicopter he would
jump on the ground or try to hide

now he is a U.S. citizen and is very proud to be one he works very hard and can cook some very good food :p

James
(feeling deeply moved) now, to pass from cruelsister's levity into the intense gravity (James) of your friend's :eek:fearful odyssey of flight to find sanctuary,:confused: gradually moving toward the healing grace of '..cooking good food!'.:):p

Last edited:
Reactions: jim lin
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.