5 ways to make your web browser more secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
An unpatched web browser is an easy target for malware, and the web is crawling with it. Our SophosLabs experts see an average of 20,000-30,000 new malicious URLs each day. And 80% of them are compromised legitimate sites, so even the sites you think are safe one day might not be the next.

5 ways to make your web browser more secure

1. Block third-party cookies. Cybercriminals can exploit cookies in some malicious ways, but they are an important component of Internet usability. Turning them off altogether is not a viable option, but you should change your browser settings to block third-party cookies.

2. Be wary of autocomplete. The autocomplete or autofill feature saves keystrokes by storing information you recently typed, such as search terms, recently visited websites and even your personal login information. Using autocomplete for login information poses a big risk if your laptop is lost or stolen.

Read More

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I would add the following:

Ghostery
HitMan Pro Alert
Better Privacy
Self-Destructing Cookies,

and these for occasional use:

FireGloves
HTTPS-Everywhere
NoScript
RequestPolicy, AND..........

Updating your browser, every month or so, does not hurt either.

By the way, if you add KeyScrambler you won't have to be "wary of autocomplete" LOL

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Gnosis, I think the point of the article was to make it as simple and minimal as possible, and apply to most browsers.

However, one thing I don't always agree on is "However, if your security vendor supplies add-ons for your browser, make sure you don’t disable them." - They're not always useful or provide any enhancements.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
FireGloves is new to me ,thanks for share ,this article can be better if author suggesting this like you describe in your post as in 2. autofile ,i think last past is good enough in that situation but don't know why author not suggesting passward maneger.No script and Self-Destructing Cookies are good.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
"However, one thing I don't always agree on is "However, if your security vendor supplies add-ons for your browser, make sure you don’t disable them." - They're not always useful or provide any enhancements. "

I agree i am using kaspersky whenever ,their both add ons are big fail for My portable Firefox always incompitable :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.