"5 ways Ubuntu Linux is better than Windows 10" article...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Original article at betanews.

Not going to link the full article but it touches certain subjects between Ubuntu and Windows 10. I would have been more interesting if it was on pure Debian or Arch or another major distribution but Ubuntu???

The UI (biased in my opinion since even within the linux community, desktop environment subject is never one fold)

The privacy settings (Yeah sure, way to go in the article comparing the privacy issues with windows 10 versus the one and only Ubuntu who caused an uproar on the community when they first released the privacy issues with Lens and Amazon, despite you can easily turn off)

Consistency: Nothing much to say here, in terms of the article aside from a big sense of fanboy alert

Non aggressive updates: One thing to note: Ubuntu 14.04 released an update to all Ubuntu families (initial 14.04.2) was all good and well if you were running a Unity for example, not for KDE... See this video for more information
Sure video above is not about forced upgrades, but you get the gist...

Security topic: Only one thing to touch:
"With Windows 10, yeah, there is now an app store, but largely, users still have to hunt for programs and driver packages on various websites. While seasoned Windows experts will know safe download sites to target, many others will be fooled into downloading malware. Hopefully Windows Defender catches it, but if not, the users' machines can be put at risk."

Great, lets give a new user Linux and let him download everything and not configure properly and see how the system behaves...
Or lets have a driver upgrade first before touching kernel. Oh wait, should be the other way around... you get the idea...

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
totally biased; like the guy just discovered Linux and say "WOW Linux Roxx"
you mean Ubuntu, not Linux.
If the guy knew much about Linux, wouldn't post such article. Just saying...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Privacy which is definitely correct to see this as a comparison where collecting of statistics goes too personal.

However in security something to be disagree where implementations of techniques helps to reduce future risks where Ubuntu Linux or in related derivatives expose for deadly vulnerabilities anytime. Its just where those attacks prefer from more targeted audiences.

D

Deleted member 178

you mean Ubuntu, not Linux.
If the guy knew much about Linux, wouldn't post such article. Just saying...

yes, i can even tell how the guy made his article; he just took 5 things he dislikes about Win10 , googled if others felt the same then take the first Linux distro he can get his hands on , unfortunately for him, it was Ubuntu (that, off his knowledge, shares some of his Win10 dislikes) then just compared the 2 OSes.

result a biased and inaccurate article made to fulfill his duty toward his employer.

Reactions: pneuma1985

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ubuntu is one that is heavily pushed onto consumers, much more than other distro's, or at least where I am from. I recall Dell, HP and some others offered Ubuntu as an alternate option on their laptops.

I have used Linux Mint in the past, as an alternative to mainstream Ubuntu.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ubuntu in terms of customization is literally heavy and trying to be same thing like Windows, although their performance is reliable in the sense however better concentrate on important perspectives.

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
I am with Spawn on this. I have tried several Linux distros and have to say that I like Mint the best. I just could not get used to how Ubuntu works.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
It is Linux , just made to be easy to use for Windows' quitters.
I know. I was being sarcastic. That mania of "facilitating" use in Ubuntu seems impractical. When the system presents a fault that can not be solved by the GUI, the user does not know what to do. And he does not want to investigate. He wants everything to be easy. Go system that Ubuntu ...

... and it's not Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.