533 million Facebook users' phone numbers and personal data have been leaked online

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
This website went dark for now. (haveibeenfacebookedDOTcom)

No, the developers are Italian and the Italian privacy authority (Garante per la protezione dei dati personali GPDP) has warned that anyone in possession of the data, even if they make legitimate use of it, is prohibited by Italian law and will be prosecuted as such.
The authority also stated that: "it could be used for a number of illicit conducts, ranging from unwanted calls and messages up to serious threats such as the so-called SIM swapping, an attack technique that allows to have access to the phone number of the legitimate owner and violate certain types of online services that use just the phone number as an authentication system".

The Authority also calls all users affected by the violation to the need to pay, in the coming weeks, particular attention to "any anomalies related to their phone users: such as, for example, the sudden absence of field in places where normally the cell phone has good reception. Such an event could be the signal that a criminal has taken possession of our phone number to use it for fraudulent purposes. In this case it is necessary to contact your telephone operator to verify the reasons for the problem and, in particular, to verify that third parties, pretending to be us, have not asked and obtained a transfer of our number to another SIM."

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
How could we check if our data has leaked, If every country would implement similar law or interpretation of law? I guess that every government would have to set up similar service for their citizens or we would just stay in dark.

you can try here:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
It says my email address got pwned on Nitro pdf, yet I've never used the service.
I prefer to check here: Have I Been Hacked? | Check Your Email & Password | Avast
I had an instance of that with an old email address I don't use anymore. Turned out in my case it was a service/software used server side from the particular service the data leak was from.
I have used Identity Leak Checker as an alternative a few times. Gave me some additional info in the email too. F-Secure's Has your personal information been exposed in a data breach? ID theft email service seems to work solid too. Tried that last night out of curiosity. Seems my junk email was part of a data leak, that HaveIBeenPwned did not notify me off.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020

Facebook Says It’s Your Fault!

Facebook does not plan to notify half-billion users affected by data leak

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.