64 bit Colors in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
I have a question.....
Why there is no option for 64 bit Colors in Windows?
Maximum color scheme in Windows 8 is 32 bit :(
I am just wondering that is there any solid reason why Windows users can't get 64 bit colors?
Mac OS X users can get 64 bit colors but Windows users can't :(

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've only found these:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/333971-33-colour-depth-32bit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#Deep_color_.2830.2F36.2F48-bit.29

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Imran said:
I have a question.....
Why there is no option for 64 bit Colors in Windows?
Maximum color scheme in Windows 8 is 32 bit :(
I am just wondering that is there any solid reason why Windows users can't get 64 bit colors?
Mac OS X users can get 64 bit colors but Windows users can't :(

What do you mean by "colors". Is it interface color? I have Windows 8 x64 and it's working perfectly...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
For the most part 64 bit colors setting would not make any difference on most images and videos because they are usually only support 24 bit at the max.

Thanks.:D

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
Littlebits said:
For the most part 64 bit colors setting would not make any difference on most images and videos because they are usually only support 24 bit at the max.

But when you have 64 bit colors the you will also have crystal clear icons with more details and with more pixels?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Imran said:
Littlebits said:

But when you have 64 bit colors the you will also have crystal clear icons with more details and with more pixels?

Only if you have a graphic card and monitor that supports 64 bit color, otherwise there will be no difference. Most graphic cards and monitors can only display up to 32 bit color, some will only support up to 24 bit color.

Because both graphic card and monitor must support 64 bit color or it will still just display as 32 bit.

Only professional computer graphic designers use 64 bit color since it is very expensive to buy both the graphic cards and monitors that support it. They use computer programs to distinguish the color depth.

For most people their eyes can only distinguish a maximum of 32-bit color depth. Anything higher bit is invisible to most people they still will only see 32-bit even if a higher color depth is available.

So just unless you are one of the very few individuals that can actually see above 32-bit color depth, it would make no difference using anything with a higher color depth.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Imran said:
Littlebits said:

That will require those icons and graphics to be made with 64bit color, and since most computer graphics are made with swatches consisting of very few colors, it won't make any difference there either.
There will not be more pixels, that is not related to the color depth.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows 8 phased out the transparency features from 7 and only scheme colors are available.

Depends from the hardware capabilities but even isn't provide higher colors nothing isn't an issue as long certain applications works well without compatibility assistant.

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
I've experienced Mac OS X and when you look very closely into the icons it will be difficult for you to see pixels of icons as compared to Windows. In Windows you can easily see the pixels if you look closer :)
If you look very closer into the icon details e.g Computer icon you will see that the borders of the icon doesn't have that well finished edgy feel :p you know what i am talking about :D
Looks like i am crazy :D
It was just my thought ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Were you observing a Mac with Retina display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.