7 out of 8 free antivirus suites bundle with PUPs

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
It's actually quite shameful that they are bundling software. It's like a massive trick - one minute they are saying it is "free", yet they would be making money off the advertisements (e.g. Yahoo search and start page being added to the browsers over the existing Home Page and Search provider). :eek:

I wonder how much money Avast gets for bundling Dropbox, or Comodo for advertising Yahoo... AVG with the Ask toolbar, it just becomes annoying (and how you must accept to change your homepage to continue the add-on use on the browser for the protection it offers). o_O

WebComparison, another installation... This time with AdAware.

It's just horrible to see this. They are meant to be stopping the Home Page URL and search provider from being tampered with (if not, it's a good idea for the protection), not actually doing it themselves. It's quite typical. They call themselves "Anti-viruses", yet they are tampering with the users Home Page and Search provider, installing additional software? What's even worse is that you have to uncheck the boxes, not check them if you want them. They are actually checked by default... Shocking. I would say about half the users who install the software most likely want to install and forget or do not have the experience to know about things like PUPs/PUAs, web browser modifications and will just hit continue, or next to get the installation complete. :mad:

Thus, upon this, then later on getting irritated when they see that Google is no longer the Home Page or Search provider, or they later on find some unknown applications installed on their system (PrivDog) that they do not want or use (included in Comodo installation).

Oh dear.
Totally right! For a long time, my home page was changed everytime I turned around, and once, I had 3 or 4 toolbars up there. Had no idea where they came from, or how to remove them.. I nearly quit computing, but then, that computer got a bad infection of some type, and is sitting on my floor here, still, with my wedding photos in it that I would like off, but don't know if they would be infected, too...! This hidden addons shouldn't be happening!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Elemec

Level 1
Verified
Jan 23, 2015
I think the only real " Bad " Bonuses , Are from baidu. Because they cannot be unninstalled unless some tool is used , As they make registry and backups.
Comodo dragon and such dont.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Even Adobe tries to put crapware on your PC (Ask Tool Bar). Some times even if you untick them they still install!
Best to down load from the author's site. If you can't do that look for down loads from Major Geeks!!

Reactions: conceptualclarity

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Comodo needs the revenue, they make quality protection suit for free use. I mean, come on!. They also make it very easy to uncheck these boxes, call it PuP or whatever. But I'm glad Comodo has survived over time. ;)

Agree agree!

I think? Comodo puts ONLY their products as part of their setups (a plus), and since the solutions free, they need any help then can get, and some might find these extras helpful.

Because when the product is free the real product is YOU.
I don't agree with this clever quote,
One example,
Linux is free and works without using you, whereas Windows can use YOU and yet is NOT free.

I have plenty of free legit software, which is not using me as a product :) It just has limits to their paid versions, IF there's pay involved... sometimes it's donate or a trial, or even nothing at all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.