Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
7-Zip version 22.00 (2022-06-15)
-------------------------
- 7-Zip now can extract APFS (Apple File System) images that can be used in DMG files.
- 7-Zip now can create TAR archives in POSIX (pax) tar format with the switches
-ttar -mm=pax or -ttar -mm=posix
- 7-Zip now can store additional file timestamps with high precision (1 ns in Linux)
in tar/pax archives with the following switches:
-ttar -mm=pax -mtp=3 -mtc -mta
- New switches for Linux version for TAR archives:
-snoi : store owner/group ids in archive or set owner/group ids from archive to extracted files.
-snon : store owner/group names in archive
- New -snz switch to propagate Zone.Identifier stream to extracted files (Windows).
- New option "Propagate Zone.Id stream" in Tools/Options/7-Zip menu.
- New "Options" window in "Add to archive" allows to select what metadata must be
included to archive. Also it allows to select new option
"Do not change source files last access time".
- Some bugs were fixed.
Source: HISTORY of the 7-Zip

Download 7-Zip 22.00 (2022-06-15) for Windows:

Link​
Type​
Windows​
Size​
.exe​
64-bit x64​
1.5 MB​
.exe​
32-bit x86​
1.2 MB​
.exe​
64-bit ARM64​
1.5 MB​
Homepage: 7-Zip

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does "New option "Propagate Zone.Id stream" in Tools/Options/7-Zip menu." mean that 7-Zip now finally supports the mark-of-the-web?
I don't know yet, that's something what needs to be tested carefully, but may anyone of 7-zip users later confirms it's true or not...

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
How to test if MOTW is retained?
Edit: Tested with the method mentioned here: Downloads and the Mark-of-the-Web
This is extracted with Windows Explorer:
6spY4baytE.jpg

This with latest 7zip 22.00:
5f9fneo9kl.jpg

Edit2: 7zip has MOTW now. It didn't show up because of Internet download manager which I used to download.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yeah, it has MOTW option now. It's disabled by default.
View attachment 267576View attachment 267575
Yes, I did select that option before testing but it still didn't show up. But my problem was something else. There wasn't MOTW when downloaded with IDM but its there when downloaded with the browser. So either IDM removed it or Windows considered IDM downloaded files to be not from internet.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Is anyone that uses this with Windows 11 able to set it up to be the default archiver? I am not. Even though 7zfm it set fore all the extensions to use 7z as the default, Windows doesn't see 7zip at all.

Any ideas?

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Is anyone that uses this with Windows 11 able to set it up to be the default archiver? I am not. Even though 7zfm it set fore all the extensions to use 7z as the default, Windows doesn't see 7zip at all.

Any ideas?

I installed the latest version of 7z. Everything works normally. 7z is as the default archiver.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Any ideas?
It doesn't appear in the default app section, so I do it like this (GIF file, so click on it).
7.gif
You can also do it from Tools>Option, but that uses a different 7zip icon that I don't like. I prefer the black and white 7zip logo.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
On Windows, 7-Zip 22.00 adds support for the -snz switch, which propagates the Zone.Identifier stream to extract files. The stream is used by Windows for security purposes; it may be used to determine whether a file has been created locally or been downloaded from the Internet.

7-zip propagate zone identifier

The preference is also available in the graphical user interface. Open 7-Zip and go to Tools > Options. Switch to the 7-Zip tab in the options window, and set the preference "Propagate Zone.Id stream to one of the following values:
  • No -- default. 7-Zip does not propagate Zone.Identifier streams.
  • Yes -- 7-Zip propagates Zone.Identifier streams for all jobs.
  • For Office files -- 7-Zip propagates Zone.Identifier streams for Office files only.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Better to have it marked YES ?
This feature is highly recommended even for security reasons. When enabled "Propagate Zone.Id stream" (you can see on my screenshot below) download source link from archived-files are still included after unzip. So probably some AVs and for sure Windows Smart Screen does recognize where the files coming from the web...

266025-3f673f0136cea568120067e2f29355c3.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.