Guide | How To 8 Simple Steps - Secure your Microsoft Account

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For full links and information, please visit Security tab for Microsoft Accounts.

1. Create a strong password
    A strong password:
    • Is difficult for anyone to guess or a hacker to decode
    • Is at least eight characters long
    • Contains a mix of letters, numbers and symbols
    • Doesn't contain your username, real name or company name
    • Doesn't contain a complete word
    • Is significantly different from previous passwords
    • Isn't the same password that you use on other websites, such as for online banking or other email account

2. Keep your security info up to date >> It's good to provide a recovery email or phone number
  3. Monitor your account for suspicious activity >> https://account.live.com/activity
    For each activity, the Recent activity page lists several things:
    • The description of the activity
    • The date and time the activity occurred
    • The location where the activity occurred

You can click any activity to expand it and see additional details, including:
    • The IP address of the PC or device on which the activity occurred
    • What type of device and operating system was used
    • What Internet browser or type of app, if any, was used

4. Install an anti-virus program on your PC >> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/security-essentials-download
  5. Turn on two-step verification >> https://account.live.com/Proofs/Manage
    Two-step verification uses two ways to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account:
    • Your password
    • An extra security code

6. Update your operating system, browser and other software
  7. Be careful of suspicious emails and websites
  8. Use a pop-up blocker with your Internet browser
I firmly believe that an ad-blocker should be used with your Internet browser, pop-up blockers are now included with all browsers.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Absolutely great guide + gazillion rep.

There is however one issue with live.com and the passwords, last year i was at the NCSC Convention which is a convention hosted by the Netherlands Cyber Security Centrum and they did show that Windows OS can be hacked within 60 seconds due to all the info people have stored in their live account.
Live likes to synchronize things with your PC and will fetch the status and health info from the local live applications.
And as you guessed your account credentials and network pass is part of the info being send to live.com and this exploit is being used VERY often.

So it was said that live.com is by far the weakest link to your average security. and therefor i would recommend Gmail instead of live.com

But thats me.

Anyway great guide buddy.

Reactions: Venustus and Ink
I

illumination

Using a standard account should be added to this list, for those windows 8 and 8.1 users..

I utilize all of the above steps, and then some.

Reactions: Venustus
D

Deleted member 178

i do all that except the 2-step verification, because my password is very long an i am lazy :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.