Security News 9 Popular Password Manager Apps Found Leaking Your Secrets

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Is anything safe? It's 2017, and the likely answer is NO.

Making sure your passwords are secure is one of the first line of defense – for your computer, email, and information – against hacking attempts, and Password Managers are the one recommended by many security experts to keep all your passwords secure in one place.

Password Managers are software that creates complex passwords, stores them and organizes all your passwords for your computers, websites, applications and networks, as well as remember them on your behalf.

But what if your Password Managers itself are vulnerable?

Well, it's not just an imagination, as a new report has revealed that some of the most popular password managers are affected by critical vulnerabilities that can expose user credentials.

The report, published on Tuesday by a group of security experts from TeamSIK of the Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology in Germany, revealed that nine of the most popular Android password managers available on Google Play are vulnerable to one or more security vulnerabilities.

More details - 9 Popular Password Manager Apps Found Leaking Your Secrets

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Well, each software is composed of thousands of code lines, can contain bugs and vulnerabilities.
Highlight these vulnerabilities is a great resource, because this allows to take awareness of the problems and then trying to solve them.
Password manager are by their nature sensitive applications, usually reliable but as we know 100% security does not exist, on any level.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
In case someone didn't see it.

At the last paragraph of the article it states: Since the vendors have addressed all these above-listed issues, users are strongly advised to update their password manager apps as soon as possible

Well, KeePass also had issues in the past.
KeePass Vulnerability Lets Attackers Steal Passwords (But Don't Expect It To Be Patched)
Plus this is the android application not the windows applications. So everyone not having a high end phone to get the latest OS upgrades is already in a situation with multiple vulnerabilities.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Plus this is the android application not the windows applications. So everyone not having a high end phone to get the latest OS upgrades is already in a situation with multiple vulnerabilities.
Right SHvFI, the OP's Title needs edited to "honestly" reflect what we are about to read.
I get pissy about fear mongering titles like that, that try to broaden the audience it captures.
Edit it to something like:
Popular Android Password Manager Apps Found Leaking Your Secrets

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I'm assuming that the apps tested are only applicable to Android versions of these apps, hopefully the desktop and iOS versions of these apps do not have the same vulnerabilities
Ohhh trust me brother if it included all versions the twits that wrote the title would have worded it something like:
EVERY PASSWORD MANAGER ON THE PLANET LEAKING YOUR ##### :p rofl

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I must admit, I'm paranoid and would never trust a password manager, particularly one that stored passwords online. I can see they are a good idea, being able to create super complex passwords, but I just like to keep my passwords close. At the moment I think the most secure place is in my head, even if I get the occasionally retrieval issueo_O these days

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.