90 Minutes a Day, Until 10 p.m.: China Sets Rules for Young Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Someone already mentioned camps here and I shudder to think what the press is NOT reporting. It's a spectrum of oppression. [...]Try this in the US, watch it fall over like a lead balloon. Thing is, the US is lagging in many things, education included. (n)
Guantanamo bay? not even in US because it doesn't look good...flag anyone as terrorist , then you have full rights to put them there.
Not saying, if they can do this openly, who knows how many and where the hidden prisons are...?
USA, China, Russia, same methods, different approaches. At least one 2 of them don't pose as a champion of democracy and human rights and wage war around the globe for Geo-strategic and economic purposes...

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The conclusion is that no country is innocent, some wrong-do openly, others secretly and via disguised means. after all, you don't become a world leading power just by being benevolent...would be naive to think so.
I think the causation is reverse. Countries who are stronger than other countries have more allowance to do more malicious things.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I think the causation is reverse. Countries who are stronger than other countries have more allowance to do more malicious things.
Obviously especially if they have a monopoly in finances or resources.

For example, China , beside being the main factory of the world for its cheap labor, is the 5th producer of Tantalum (an ore crucial for transistors and all things electronic):

China is another large tantalum producer, and in 2017 its production held steady year-over-year, increasing just 1 MT. Last year, it was the biggest supplier of tantalum metal to US companies, with 23 percent of the metal imported to the US having come from China, according to the US Geological Survey.

That number may be quite different in 2018, after the two countries engaged in a trade war involving high tariffs for both sides.

So you can see here one reason why US can't really be China direct adversary in long term (another is China own a large part of the USA debt).
All is smoke and mirror by Donald to gain some leverages on the 5G market; China is leading the race, US is way behind. and we all know than in huge markets, all governments always backup their companies.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Actually, on this morning's US news show, there was a segment on a grass roots movement in Japan to eliminate making high heels "mandatory" for women in the workplace. You expect things like "why can't women wear flats like the men do," yet a woman says "why aren't men wearing high heels also, then?" Ha!

Coming back to the Chinese discussion: China's Muslim 'crackdown' explained

Someone already mentioned camps here and I shudder to think what the press is NOT reporting. It's a spectrum of oppression. This latest 90 minute gaming thing is on the lighter side. But oppression it is (to me) Try this in the US, watch it fall over like a lead balloon. Thing is, the US is lagging in many things, education included. (n)

Edit: venustus: GREAT thread, thank you. Really captured my interest, hopefully many others feel the same. :)
I agree. It is interesting and refreshing to see the borderline between common sense and noncommon sense in different cultures. :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Honestly this is just China trying to control it's people more.. Citizens themselves seem nice but they pretty much have a gun to the head without them knowing. Not saying U.S is any better but trying to enforce everything isn't going to solve problems. If they really think video games and looking at computers is that detrimental to society wait till people have mental burnout from working too hard.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

1- trying to enforce everything isn't going to solve problems.
2- If they really think video games and looking at computers is that detrimental to society wait till people have mental burnout from working too hard.
1- indeed but sometimes you have to.
2- it is because more and more are addicted, especially online games where competition is pushed (ranking, gift boxes, etc...). Asian people are very competitive-minded even for small things ("my friend have this, i can have it too or better" kind of mindset, like China aiming to dethroned US).
When i played WoW , i didn't only played for fun, i played to be as strong as possible and be top ranked, reason i ended leading a 250+ member guild ranked 2nd guild of the server. Most if not all of my Asian friends are same, unlike most of my western friends who just enjoy the game.

About burnouts, it is not as severe as in Western countries, Asian can handle more working time, because we grew like this, as kids parents make us do "difficult" stuff very early. So 12 hours a day jobs is common, and we kinda laugh when westerners complains about the manager asking them to do 30-45mn more to finish a task...

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

By the way, just bought a pair of Nike Airmax 270 made in China for 20usd LOL. i cant even tell if they are fake, just sold at that price for "poorer" markets or are those with small imperfections during fabrication but failed Q&A. The quality is very good.

China roxx :p

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
2- it is because more and more are addicted, especially online games where competition is pushed (ranking, gift boxes, etc...). Asian people are very competitive-minded even for small things ("my friend have this, i can have it too or better" kind of mindset, like China aiming to dethroned US).
When i played WoW , i didn't only played for fun, i played to be as strong as possible and be top ranked, reason i ended leading a 250+ member guild ranked 2nd guild of the server. Most if not all of my Asian friends are same, unlike most of my western friends who just enjoy the game.

Japan has a similar tendency. Instead of enjoying the game, they are fighting seriously in the game. In Japan, people who do not go to work or school and spend the day in their rooms are a problem. They are called “引きこもりhikikomoril” (meaning that they are confined), and it seems that there are quite a lot of cases where most of the time other than sleep is consumed by game play. Such people usually live with their parents. Even if you don't work, you don't have to worry about eating. And surprisingly, it's not uncommon for them to rarely meet up with their parents living in the same house. This is a Japanese story, but if there are many similar cases in China, I feel that there is a part that cannot completely deny government intervention.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Japan has a similar tendency. Instead of enjoying the game, they are fighting seriously in the game. In Japan, people who do not go to work or school and spend the day in their rooms are a problem. They are called “引きこもりhikikomoril” (meaning that they are confined), and it seems that there are quite a lot of cases where most of the time other than sleep is consumed by game play. Such people usually live with their parents. Even if you don't work, you don't have to worry about eating. And surprisingly, it's not uncommon for them to rarely meet up with their parents living in the same house. This is a Japanese story, but if there are many similar cases in China, I feel that there is a part that cannot completely deny government intervention.
Same in South Korea, China, France, etc... more and more countries become touched by this, and govs are the only ones that can fix it when parents lacks the willpower to act because they dont have time to watch their kids or it may generates crisis in the family.
In fact the game industry push that competition more and more to get more money. people will waste their money on virtual items so their character will be stronger. and more you become good at a game, more addicted you are.
"Lust for power" is what generate addiction, especially for those skinny introvert kids, victim of bullies and mockery in school but in the game they become stronger and more famous than Tony Stark LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.