Advice Request A Browser Extension that prevents Malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am using WD+ConfigHIGH+SWH+VS+BDTrafficLight+UbO. I use Windows Firewall.

I have been wondering about malware that can insert or download itself through my browser when I land on a website that I would not be aware.

I use three browsers, FF, Google Chrome, and the new Edge, all up to date.

I know that a good AV or Extension like BDTL will block a malicious website before one gets there. Is there an extension that can block the type of malware that I describe? I may be misunderstanding browser malware in regard to how they work but I was wondering if it is in the realm of sandboxing but then it would be an additional program leading to bloat and potential conflicts. In essence, overkill?

If anyone can clarify the concept, and make a recommendation, I would appreciate it. Maybe I am overthinking it.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

openDNS is good for speed and phishing but it's bad against malware links
if you want more options, you have to register an account on their website, download a tool to update your IP so the settings will stick to your IP
everytime your IP changes, the settings won't apply anymore -> have to update the new IP to continue. Unless you have a static IP, you don't need to upload your new IP to their server

there is a few ways to do but it's complicated
it's the same for NextDNS
I never need to link my IP and don't understand why I should.
Only adding their DNS with own ID and that's it

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have configured Google Chrome and Firefox to use Secure DNS over HTTPS with NextDNS. Edge is hard configured to use Google. That being said, if I wanted another browser that was configurable like Chrome with similar settings, what browser would have the same setting?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Using mobile broadband modem is not same than using basic wooden router, everytime you reset the mobile modem ip will reset and you dont have static ip at all...so you have to use their application to get ip updated basically everytime you restart your pc

Its much easier to either use fastest dns, wich has servers near you ..usually cloudflare or google has for me in europe

Or just go with security dns and neustar is best, sad they are not using the business filter anymore, also they dont have dns over https
Quad9 is better blocking phish/malware than cloudflare malware filter, but has less servers near you probably

I would use comodo dns or nextdns as you could choose categories to be blocked like social media, etc. but as i dont have static ip i have to go with public dns of choice

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
only if you want more options such as domain blocking, privacy, parental control...
otherwise, it will work as it is by default
same for nextdns, we can add/remove adblock rules, configure cache or change a few privacy settings. In this case, you must stick your IP to their dashboard or use their client. As soon as your IP changes (by rebooting your router or your ISP changes silently), the settings you modify on the dashboard will not work until you update the new IP
if you have/buy a static IP, you don't have to update your IP

that's quite annoying

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

only if you want more options such as domain blocking, privacy, parental control...
otherwise, it will work as it is by default
same for nextdns, we can add/remove adblock rules, configure cache or change a few privacy settings. In this case, you must stick your IP to their dashboard or use their client. As soon as your IP changes (by rebooting your router or your ISP changes silently), the settings you modify on the dashboard will not work until you update the new IP
if you have/buy a static IP, you don't have to update your IP

that's quite annoying
I use e.g domain blocking without link my IP.
The only thing i do is adding NextDNS DoT DNS to my router. Nothing more and everything works.
It doesn't matter if i get a new IP or not. The DNS doesn't change. So that's why i was confused

Reactions: Protomartyr

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
If your connected to a home network all the time, the easiest option is to set the DNS via your router. Sadly, my ISP's router doesn't allow it (Sky) but it's broadband shield blocks some malicious/phishing pages. I'm sure you'll find what works for you. Like @oldschool says, don't over think it.

P.S. Comodo DNS can be used via Comodo Dome which I think is still free but it's harder to find the IP address thee days and in all the speed and security tests I've seen, it's been further down the list.

P.P.S. Comodo DNS is IPv4 only.

sirius777

Level 2
Oct 24, 2019
NoScript maybe if you take that as an option. Malwarebyte's addon also has a nice approach of blocking malicious content. It doesn't necessarily block the whole page where the infected resource is laying on, it just blocks the infected part itself. Sorry for my broken english, hope you get what I'm trying to say here :)

NextDNS actually is a good option as security123 already said above

I think you don't need NoScript if you're using uBlock Origin because uBlock Origin has the option to disable javascript.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I think you don't need NoScript if you're using uBlock Origin because uBlock Origin has the option to disable javascript.

Very true. Interestingly, I found the page loading with Java disabled in UBO slower to respond than disabling java in Chromium Edge. UBO is such a great product :)

Reactions: Protomartyr

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Please don't mix JavaScript with Java. Two different things

Sorry, was being lazy and not writing out javascript. Anyway, when I tested it out a few versions ago, I found pages just loaded a bit quicker using the built-in option in chromium edge itself and you can still whitelist sites.

1597922599170.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Malwarebytes and Avira are slow because they scan every single traffic of your browser including when we are scrolling in a page or watching a stream. They consume CPU almost all the time -> heavy
Bitdefender is a little lighter but it will pause a website -> wait for the safety verdict from their server -> safe/unsafe -> the website will be allowed to load. If our internet connection is unstable or BD's servers are frozen, you will have a bad time/extreme slowdown. It's similar to Malwarebytes

Emsisoft, WDBP: allow websites to load normally and simultaneously check their safety. When internet is unstable, you won't feel any impact of slowness

BD, emsisoft and WDBP: only scan a website when we visit the website. Then, they will not interact with your navigation anymore until you visit another link

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.