Running ok currently
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
ran memtest 9 passes and no errors
Can someone help find the culprit?
dump files
Download dumpfiles.zip

system info

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3062 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 61443 MB, Free - 40949 MB; D: Total - 243696 MB, Free - 45260 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., LEONITE
Antivirus: None

Attachments

• screenshot.1.png
    screenshot.1.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
From what you described, there are many reasons this could happen, unfortunately...

It most probably isn't a software error, and if you re-assembled all of the components properly, then it could be some sort if hardware issue.

Firstly, make sure you put all the parts back together properly. Check whether the wiring to GPU, CPU, etc is done properly (loose wires can cause funky stuff like this)

Problem is, if it is a hardware issue, then issue could have been caused by many things (e.g. static electricity from your clothes, grease from fingers, a drop of sweat, etc) and if you used an air compressor to blow the dust away, it could also be water droplets that accumulated inside it during use or while it was compressing air before use, which were then launched at the componets while you were blowing the machine. (increasing pressure in atmospheric air causes the humidity in it to liquify)
Though if it was some sort of bad short-circuit case, it probably wouldn't have been turning on at all.

In any case I recommend you check the wiring, and if it's all okay, then start taking out components and try running your PC without them or with different, working ones installed in their place.

I can't open up the dump files as I am currently away from the PC, but hopefully I've given you some starting suggestions to work with until I can manage to check the dump files. :p

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I didn't take the computer apart just the side panel obviously. I always use a cheap electric leaf blower from a safe distance away just to get the bulk of the dust and fine tune things with a can of air. I did check the connections and everything seems fine.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I didn't take the computer apart just the side panel obviously. I always use a cheap electric leaf blower from a safe distance away just to get the bulk of the dust and fine tune things with a can of air. I did check the connections and everything seems fine.
Thanks for the update.
I will refrain from suggesting anything until I open up that dump file - maybe there is no need for too much fuss yet.

Reactions: Overkill
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Canned air uses refrigerant and although safe for PC's it might have got on a piece of hardware or between a connection and temporarily caused a BSOD since you say that everything is good now.
Using a vacuum in reverse or any other type of forced air other than canned air could have possibly loosened a connection.
Static could also have caused this.
Seems to happen more than you think when blowing out a desktop

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Upvote 0

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Try to unplug and re-plug every connection one by one.

Often than not when you "blow" sometimes a bit of dust goes to hardware for example, or "cold air" depending on the method, which does cause temporary BSOD.

@Overkill are you sure you uploaded dumpfiles.zip? it goes to download dumpfiles.vhdx which contains a setup.exe

without its actual BSOD entries its hard to fully troubleshoot.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@Overkill The dumps report BAD_POOL_HEADER error, related to ntoskrnl.exe one time and hal.dll the other time.
This usually has to do with bad memory allocation, so, hardware-wise, this issue is most probably linked with your RAM.

Make sure the wires are properly fixed, once again.

It is possible that some dust remnants somehow got stuck in the RAM slots or in other slots in your PC.
Most probably this isn't going to be permanent.

One idea would be to blow around the inside of your PC again in the hope of removing that trapped dust.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I have 2 sticks of these and 2 of these now I did have the two sticks of 512 in slots 3 and 4 and the 1 gb sticks in slots 1 and 2. Can someone help me confirm that they are in correctly? this manual is confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Overkill Finally got on to my PC and going to check those minidumps. :p

@Inkurax That is the host's generated downloader.
ynbvyaG.png
That option was unchecked when I downloaded it but it can be midori playing up as I noticed later on while browsing that an option was unchecked and still acted like it was checked. Sorry @Overkill but its a force of habit: I always first download on my Linux systems unless its from a trusted source. I cant see the rams you linked as I'm on the phone but are they the correct frequency rams? Rules of thumb always need to be same type of ram and speed but can be different size I.e 2gb and a 1gb ddr3 @ whatever mhz. Excuse typos if any.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I have 2 sticks of these and 2 of these now I did have the two sticks of 512 in slots 3 and 4 and the 1 gb sticks in slots 1 and 2. Can someone help me confirm that they are in correctly? this manual is confusing.
Frequencies are all correct, you're good to go as far as that is concerned.

Look at the colors of the RAM slots.
Make sure to place the modules of each pair in slots of the same color.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Frequencies are all correct, you're good to go as far as that is concerned.

Look at the colors of the RAM slots.
Make sure to place the modules of each pair in slots of the same color.
That's how I have them set now
I have 1gb sticks in the blue slots and 512 in the black slots or should it go by smaller size first?

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I guess had them in wrong before but it ran fine since i've had that PC or until now LOL
They can run however the voltage/frequency of the "faster" RAM module of each pair will readjust to the values of the "slower" one and that way you lose a lot of performance, and in rare cases, system stability.
But generally yeah, they would run "fine". lol :D

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.