Advice Request A free VoodooShield alternative?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
How would you know without trying ? Try it. For me it works well.
You have two options when installing. AV+whitelisting or only whitelisting option. Choose the one you want when installation.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
How would you know without trying ? Try it. For me it works well.
You have two options when installing. AV+whitelisting or only whitelisting option. Choose the one you want when installation.
Hmmm...let me try. But I am only using a netbook.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
My opinion, anti-executable software are just a waste of time on modern Windows, if you always utilize UAC and never approve anything that you don't know for sure is safe, always pay attention when downloading or running files and keep your software updated there is no need for such products. Anti-executable products only benefit reckless users who click on everything and download files without checking to see if they are safe then ignore UAC prompts and just click approve without doing any checking.

You can't benefit from running an Anti-executable if you only download files from trusted download sources.
Your actions will determine what kind of protection that you will need.

Thanks. :D

bawldiggle

Feb 14, 2016
I have been using Voodoo Shield for 2 years on 5 AutoCad machines
- we are consulting engineers and in my spare time I write addons for AutoCad
- we cannot afford risky security/invasion protection software
I tried VDS on our knock about laptop for 12 months and it never faulted
One attempted ransom attempt was detected by VDS and blocked the repeated loops of attempted hijacking
while Bitdefender took about 15 seconds to discover there was a threat.
So much for back to base verification by BD and/or BD heuristics were asleep.

UAC is not as smart as we are all led to believe, and if UAC is disabled ... then what. Human error is the weak link on any system.

One recommendation by VDS developer about 12 months ago ...
anti-Phishing with emails is best detected with a free AV ... personnally I use free BD, only because it was there

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
UAC is not as smart as we are all led to believe, and if UAC is disabled ... then what.
If you have VoodooShield than forget about that, it was originally designed to replace UAC, he built a better mouse trap.

anti-Phishing with emails is best detected with a free AV
Or a decent email client. I've been using Microsofts email for at least 15 years and have never been breached, pay attention to their alerts, use your good judgment and you will be 99% safe. Good luck to you in your ventures.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
if you always utilize UAC and never approve anything that you don't know for sure is safe
Don't fool yourself about UAC being some watered-down anti-exe because it's definitely not.
UAC has been bypassed time and time again since it was released and a lot of malware doesn't even need privilege elevation to carry out their malicious action. Remember WannaCry? It didn't ever request or need privilege elevation to cause the damage it did.

Anti-executable products only benefit reckless users who click on everything and download files without checking to see if they are safe then ignore UAC prompts and just click approve without doing any checking.
Obviously being a happy-clicker means your system will eventually be infected and that will be their own fault, but even as a cautious user you're not always in control of what you're downloading. Any reputable website can be compromised and forced to run malicious code that pushes malware or it could display ads from a compromised ad network that do the same thing.

Same thing with applications. Take the CCleaner incident: Blackhats were able to steal Piriform's credentials, add malicious code to CCleaner and re-upload it to their website for anybody to download. The only ones to blame for this were Piriform employees and their obviously shameful in-house protections.

Ultimately you can't blame the user if they have no control over the attack vector, regardless of whether they practice safe browsing habits or not.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

UAC.png

My opinion, anti-executable software are just a waste of time on modern Windows, if you always utilize UAC and never approve anything that you don't know for sure is safe, always pay attention when downloading or running files and keep your software updated there is no need for such products. Anti-executable products only benefit reckless users who click on everything and download files without checking to see if they are safe then ignore UAC prompts and just click approve without doing any checking.

You can't benefit from running an Anti-executable if you only download files from trusted download sources.
Your actions will determine what kind of protection that you will need.

Thanks. :D

Good 'ol Littlebits…
  • People disable UAC
  • People approve anything without knowing anything about its safety
  • People do not pay attention when downloading and running files
  • People do not keep software updated
  • People are reckless
  • People do click on everything and download files without checking to see if they are safe
  • People ignore UAC prompts by immediately selecting YES
Users are a menace to themselves. Always have been, always will be.

People should be locked out of the system for their own good, so there is real need for anti-executable and software restriction policy software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.