Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Today Oracle updated the current version 8 of Java Runtime Environment to Build 40. Once again, prior to the update I had to opt out of installing the STUPID Ask toolbar.

Being a kind and gentle person I can actually understand when a small software company more or less has to resort to adware installations in order to keep the company viable. But Oracle has a market cap of almost 200 BILLION USD! What is the point of nickel-and-diming the user? Do one of the Exec's need extra cash to tip their maids? Does Larry Ellison need cash to refinish the Basketball Court on his Yacht?

images
images

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I agree that it's not on.
Sounds like they're piggy-backing on the reputation of Oracle in the hope that the unaware will install the toolbar onto their machines.
I for myself think that having that toolbar in their updates tarnishes the reputation of the bigger company by 'endorsing' that pernicious toolbar as is evident in your rant. ;)
As someone once said here, do not allow any bars of any kind unless it has chocolate in the name :p

Y

yigido

If I were Oracle, I put more and more adware into my Java installer. People are so stupid, and then I will get more and more money. Maybe my wealth will be 400 Billions $. It means 2 yatches :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yawn ;), sometimes we cannot answer any extraordinary explanations like this. :D

Just kidding, but what we should do now? Money took everything on all aspects of life which attracts especially big companies like Oracle.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.