Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hello

I'm considering to implement a VM for malware testing and I was thinking of a roadmap to face a serious study.
Indeed, once you have finished the analysis of a sample, you have an amount of information that need a well structured order.

Important is the technical analysis of the code, but structuring the obtained information is a great goal.
So let’s consider what are the most important questions to be answered.

- How many variants of the same malcode?

- What is the used algorithm to pack the core, if packed ?

- Could this tell us anything about how's skilled the malcoder behind it ?

- Where does this connect out to ?

- How sophisticated this malware is ?

Answering to these question will tell us: what are the involved servers, involved people and what kind of criminal activity is.

Difficult challenge? Maybe.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Are you talking about a known malware sampke or an unknown sample that you want to analyze?
Well, it is an idea I would like to implement, basing on my old knowledge about assembly, C # and something of C ++. Simply taking a random malware sample and analyze it by dissecting it and understanding how the malcoder was skilled, but above all investigate on what I said above, trying to figure out what really this code want to do on our system.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Well, it is an idea I would like to implement, basing on my old knowledge about assembly, C # and something of C ++. Simply taking a sample and analyze it by dissecting it and understanding how the malcoder was skilled, but above all investigate on what I said above, trying to figure out what really this code want to do on our system.

Reverse engineering is a pretty nasty business. But awesome in the end :D I will also follow this.

If I may, there's a free tool you can begin with: pestudio

cheburash

Level 1
Apr 14, 2017
If I can suggest, first question is where do you get your samples from?
How do you know they are malicious?
If you are getting known malicious samples they probably already have been described.
If you are getting some unknown files, then again, you probably don't know if they are malicious or good...

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
If I can suggest, first question is where do you get your samples from?
How do you know they are malicious?
If you are getting known malicious samples they probably already have been described.
If you are getting some unknown files, then again, you probably don't know if they are malicious or good...
You can download malware samples from online malware analysis services, but usually you have to create an account.
Are they malicious or not? This is the point.
If you just look at online analysis report, you have to subjectively interpret the results: there are common indicators which are related to malware and clean files at the same time.
This indicators should be read in a specific context and it is for this reason, you have to analyze the code.

.NET non-obfuscated samples can be inspected with ILSpy and you have access to the code, reading tons of information that suggest to you how the malware works, for example URL connections, access to user's documents, encryption functions, etc.
Malware written in C/C++, at compile time for the generation of the executable file, the source code is translated into machine language.
With decompilers, you can go back to the assembly code...but no more.
In this case, other tools can show functions and methods very useful to understand how malware works.

I assure you that by inspecting the
code or the functions of the sample, you have a good chance of understanding whether the file is malicious or not, how much the malcoder was skilled and, most importantly, what the code wants to do in the system.
That is what I would like to do.

Reactions: frogboy

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Hello

I'm considering to implement a VM for malware testing and I was thinking of a roadmap to face a serious study.
Indeed, once you have finished the analysis of a sample, you have an amount of information that need a well structured order.

Important is the technical analysis of the code, but structuring the obtained information is a great goal.
So let’s consider what are the most important questions to be answered.

- How many variants of the same malcode?

- What is the used algorithm to pack the core, if packed ?

- Could this tell us anything about how's skilled the malcoder behind it ?

- Where does this connect out to ?

- How sophisticated this malware is ?

Answering to these question will tell us: what are the involved servers, involved people and what kind of criminal activity is.

Difficult challenge? Maybe.

Interesting but beyond my coding abilities.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.